*Chapter 5*: First days and disasters

Recognition hit me hard like a rock. I shot my eyes up to the amused brown ones, that were gazing down at me.

"You knew," I exclaimed, angrily. "And you didn't tell me!"

"Knew what?"

"That....that..."

"That you were interning under me? That Mr. Mahadevan, who you admired and spoke so greatly about was my father? That you are obviously tongue tied right now?"

"Oh shut up," I said, then realized I was speaking to my boss.
"Um I mean sorry sir. I was just a little surprised."

He started chuckling. "Chill Riya, I was just playing with you..even I got to know only in Cafe Coffee Day..I just didn't tell you there since I wanted to see your reaction when you figured it out..."

"Haha very funny," I said.

"So anyways I didn't know you were studying dentistry," he said.

"Hmmm..I didn't know you were a dentist too...and not just some dentist," I muttered. He heard that.

"Can't exactly go telling people you're the son of some famous dentist first day you meet them can I?" he said and I laughed.

"Nope I guess not," I replied.

"So how have you been doing?" he asked me.

"Good, hoping to pass my second year with flying colours, what about you?"

"Well what do you think? With a father with such great expectations, satisfying him is no piece of cake. I am dying," he said dramatically.

I rolled my eyes, but a small smile came onto my face. Destiny had not been so cruel after all. I had a few months to work with him and I was going to see lot more of his beautiful face than I thought I would.

"Sooo you're done with 2nd year then?" he asked.

"If I pass," I replied oh so positively.

"Of course you will, anyone who's good enough to work under me HAS to," he said cheekily.

"So yeah technically I am done then," I said. "I have my summer break now."

"Aha I see..before we go ahead with clinicals, I would like to ask you a few basic questions if that's alright?" he asked.

Ever so polite even now, I thought.

I gave him a genuine smile. "Sure."

"So are you well acquainted with all the instruments used in cavity preparation?"

"Yeah," I said. That was an easy one.

"Then let's start with you handing me the correct instruments, alright?" he said.

"Okay," I replied.

Before he called in his patient, he told me about what was going to happen. The forty year old lady had an occlusal pit and fissure cavity on her maxillary first molar. And he was going to do an amalgam filling.
I nodded my head to everything he said. I was really excited. It was the first time I was going to witness the cavity preparation and restoration process.

I wore gloves, a head cap and a mouth mask and So did Arya. I mean "Mr Mahadevan" I had to get used to calling him my boss though he didn't insist. The set of sterilized instruments were placed in a rack near the dental chair and I had to give him whatever he asked. I had understood that much.

The patient came down and explained about her problem. Then she lay down on the chair. Arya adjusted the lighting such that it was comfortable for him and leaned over to assess the condition of her maxillary first molar.