Chapter 3

"Hey, Wes, man what's going on?" A guy wearing red board shorts and blonde hair jogged over to us. I thought Wes had a nice body, you should've seen this guy. He took his sunglasses off his eyes and placed them on top of his head, revealing a set of warm, intense blue eyes. He smiled as he held out his hand for me, "Hey. I'm Drew." His smiled at me like we were life long friends.

"I'm Avery." I said as I laughed softly and shook his hand. After we released from the handshake I could see Drew checking me out. I smiled shyly and saw Wesley's expression stiffen. He nudged Drew softly and he snapped out of it.

"So Avery what are you up to?" Drew asked me.

"Well, I was going to go grab some lunch with my friend over there until Keri Walsh here decided to hit a kill shot at the back of my head." I smiled slightly and Wes pretended to be offended.

"Well it seems that we have a beach volleyball enthusiast on our hands Drew. We'll see who's making comments like that after we kick your ass." Wes had a smile on his lips, daring me to accept the offer.

"You're on." I called over to Adrianna who waved goodbye to her friends and walked over.

"Hey, sorry about that Aves, I was just catching up with some- oh. who's this?" As soon as she saw the guys standing in front of me she blushed and brought her hands up to take her sunglasses off.

"Adrianna, this is Wesley," I gestured to him and he raised his fingers up in response.

"sup."

"And this is Drew." Drew looked over at her and gave her a head nod in greeting

"Do you live around here? You look pretty familiar, but I haven't seen you around school or anything." Wesley asked her.

"Yeah, I live in Huntington, but I go to school in Westminster." She smiled at them. She put her sunglasses back on, but I could tell that her eyes were darting between the two boys, checking out their abs. "But uh, Avery here lives in New Jersey. Our moms are best friends so her familiy is staying with us for the summer."

"Cool. So do you guys wanna join us for a game?" Wes asked us. I could see the competitive flare in Wesley's eyes flickering. I rolled my eyes, still a little mad from being hit in the back of the head.

"Bring it."

Adrianna and I gathered four other people from the beach and had them join our team. As we made our way back to the sand court, I saw that Wesley and Drew had already assembled a team of their own. Their team was completely composed of guys, and they all looked like they new each other pretty well. Even though I just met the other two thirds of our team, I thought we had a pretty good chance. Adrianna knew them and said that they knew what they were doing.

It was nearing the end of the third set, Wesley and Drew's team had won one game, and so had we. The score was 23-24. One more point and we would win. Jimmy, one of the members of our team took this time to toss up the ball and serve it directly into the net. Damn it. now the score was 24-24. We had to win by two points. We missed a hit because we hought it was going out of bounds. But it didn't. Right on the line. Another point for Wes and Drew.

We returned their serve and sent the ball over the net. The boys's team passed the ball to Drew who set it up so Wes could make an attack. He goes up to hit the ball and slams it. The ball travels over the net and slams into Adrianna. The ball rolls out of bounds and the boys celebrate their victory. Drew rushes under the net and assists me in helping Adrianna up.

"Oh shit. I'm sorry." Wes comes over looking concerned. Adrianna winces as she gets up and Wes bites his bottom lip as if he was the one who got slammed.