Chapter 4

"Are you kidding me?" I questioned. I was genuinely surprised. I did not see that coming at all. Adrianna looked at me. I couldn't tell if she was pulling my leg or if she was being serious. I studied her face. The smile was still there, but her eyes seemed to be filled with truth.

"No. He totally has a thing for you." Her entire face was serious now. Wow. okay, she wasn't kidding.

"Uh, I don't think so." I started looking down at the sand, pretending to be insanely interested in a dingy old seashell. I nudged it with my toe when Adrianna started talking again.

"Why wouldn't he like you? Have you seen yourself?!" She told me.

"Yeah, and I don't exactly fit the California standard." I said grumpily as I looked down at the clothes I had changed into after surfing. I was wearing tattered, faded jean shorts and black vans. Over my bikini top I had thrown on an old Nirvana tour tee from the 90s. "I'm not really into all the modern shit on the radio nowadays." I said gesturing to my shirt.

"So what? Nirvana's pretty chill, and I like the look, it's hot. It's edgy meets urban." She gave me a wink and I started smiling. This girl has already turned out to be a great friend and I've only known her for a couple of hours.

"Thanks Ade," I rolled my eyes, but I couldn't help smiling. Then I remembered what we walked over here for in the first place. "Hey! I almost forgot! Can we get some food now?"

"Ugh yes! I'm starving." She pulled her phone out of her back pocket and checked the time. "Ooh. Wow. Okay, it's 3 o'clock. Let's eat something fast. If we want to go out tonight we'll probably have to spend some time at home."

After we got lunch we started walking back to the house. We were walking home slowly, so I could admire the surroundings. Everything was so gorgeous here. The waves, the sand, I could really get used to living here. We were almost at the house when we saw Owen talking with a group of guys. He saw us walking and waved goodbye to his friends. He jogged over and caught up with us.

"Hey, Adrianna have you seen my board?" He ran his hand through his short hair and bit his bottom lip, looking worried. Adrianna and I shared a look and tried our hardest not to laugh. Owen started to look confused, so I decided to tell him.

"Sorry, I uh... kinda stole your board," I told him. His eyebrows shot up quizzically noticing that I wasn't carrying his surfboard. "No worries though, it's back at the house, safe and sound." A wave of relief washed over his face.

"So you do any surfing, east coast?" He asked with a smile on his lips.

"I get by." I told him, blushing slightly. I didn't dare like Owen because he was Adrianna's brother, but that didn't change the fact that he was smoking hot.

"Well it's good to see that my board was in good hands,” he said with a smile, and I couldn't help but melt a little bit. "So, do you guys wanna hit the waves later around 6:30? Adrianna and I could show you around." He said.

"Thanks, but Adrianna and I met a guy by the volleyball courts, and we were going to go see his band play tonight." I got the words out before I saw Adrianna standing behind Owen making all kinds of awkward hand motions. I think she was trying to tell me not to let Owen know what we were doing. But it was too late.

"The band playing at the pier? Cool. Mind if I tag along? I've been meaning to check them out." Owen asked smiling. How could anyone ever say no to that smile? Apparently Adrianna was the only girl it didn't affect because she decided to jump into the conversation.