XI

The final story I am going to tell you is about the man in the light up shoes. He arrived here around three years ago. He wears all black and purple light up shoes. If you stay up really late, when every one has gone to sleep and the neon lights have faded off into the horizon, you can sometimes see him pacing down the street. He always looks like he is going nowhere and everywhere at once. You know it's him, because he's the only one allowed to wear the light up shoes. He is our protectorate. Sometimes the darkness becomes too prevalent, so he walks through the night, his soles shining as bright as ever, and suddenly the dark doesn't seem so scary. The grim darkness fears and loathes him. They tried to kill him once. He came home, his black clothes torn to shreds and dripping in blood. No one rushed to help him, because if you approached him, his consciousness would kick in and an ultraviolet forcefield would appear around him, warning you to stay away. He wanted to do his job, and he wanted others to do the same. One time, a stubborn newbie tried to run through his forcefield, claiming she was different. It was then and only then when we heard his voice. It was booming and powerful and it made you want to shrink down into a hole. He only said these four words. Stay. In. Your. Place. They speeded across the vast violet hills, and I'm sure everyone heard him. To this day, no one has ever tried to bother him again. I told you this story, so that you would know that it's okay to be alone. It's okay to want to do something nice for someone, but still crave the solace that being alone gives you. He is at peace. He seems empty, but he is full. He keeps us safe, but he also keeps us wondering too; and I think that is exactly what he intends to do. I hope you enjoyed your tea. Let's take you home, shall we? You need to get ready for dinner, there are only about twenty minutes left. Drop your cup off there and let's get you home. Maybe you will even see our mysterious protector tonight. I hope you do, because he's quiet beautiful to watch. May your mind wander over our glowing phenomenon.