Chapter 8:

♪♪ Well, if you're lost I'd bring you safe back home. And wrestle with your demons so you can be left alone...

Nikos Caprielle

Naglalakad ako sa beach papunta sa bar ng resort para sa isang gig ng may nakita akong isang pamilyar na babaeng nakaupo sa may buhangin at nag-iiyak. Lumapit ako sa kanya when I recognized her face. She was the girl who passed out at the bar so I had to take her to my house.

"Why are you crying?" I asked her. She turned to look at me  and she looked shocked.

"Kuyang gwapo? Why are you here?" She sarcastically asked back. I just shrugged and sat beside her because I felt like it.

"Bakit ka umiiyak?" Tanong ko ulit sa kanya.

"Bakit ka nga nandito?!"

"I'm always here at the beach. Ikaw ang dapat tanungin ko nyan, ngayon lang kita nakita dito e. Siguro bagong lipat ka." I answered. "Or maybe you ran away from your home. May nabanggit ka na wag kang ibabalik sa bahay nyo e." I said, remembering what she said that night.

She didn't reply.

I still remember how she looked that night. Hello Kitty pa ang print ng shirt nya nun. She looked so innocent and fearless at the same time but she also looked sad. She was drinking pero mukhang mababa naman ang tolerance nya sa alcohol. I suddenly got worried for her kaya sabi ko sa kanya umuwi na sya.

I used her silence to examine her face. Her lower lip is thicker than her upper lip and it is in the perfect shade of red. She has a small pointed nose. Her eyes is in a perfect almond shape and she has bold eyebrows. Her long wavy hair perfected her look. God, she's beautiful.

I was just looking at her the whole time pero umiiwas ako ng tingin pag nahuhuli nya ako. I wasn't attracted to her the first time I saw her. To be fair, I thought she was a minor then.

Iinumin nya sana ulit yung iniinom nya kanina pero inagaw ko yun at ako ang uminom.

"What was that?!" Tanong nya sa 'kin. "Bakit ka ba nang-aagaw ha?"

"Akala ko may balak ka na namang maglasing at makatulog ulit sa bahay ko." I laughed lightly. "Iced tea lang pala itong iniinom mo."

Hindi nya ako pinansin at tumitig na lang sya sa dagat. To be honest, ang ganda nya pero mukha syang baliw at that moment kaya naman bigla na lang akong napatawa.

"Are you laughing at me?!" Sigaw nya sa akin. Napatawa ulit ako dahil nanlalaki ang mga mata habang nagsasalita. "Hindi ka na naawa sakin! Ang lungkot ko dito oh tapos pagtatawanan mo lang ako?!"

Hindi ko na napigilan at napatawa ulit ako. Nakikita ko kasi sa expression nya na hindi nya alam kung tatahimik lang sya o papatulan nya ako.

"Grabe ka! Umalis ka dito kung wala kang magawa sa buhay mo, creep!"

"Wait lang. Stop! Sorry na. Tumigil ka na. Ayaw kong nakakakita ng taong umiiyak. Baka mamaya maiyak din ako." I stood up and offered her my hand. "Halika, ililibre kita ng dinner para hindi ka na malungkot." I said while smiling. Tinext ko na rin ang kaibigan ko na hindi matutuloy ang gig ko.

*****

"You're too pretty to be crying like that." I blurted out. Where the hell did I get the courage to say that? I don't know. I didn't take it back, because it's true. She's one of most beautiful women I've ever seen.

"Thank you." She replied.

Silence enveloped us for a moment. I didn't feel like saying a word. Truth is, I don't know what to say. Maybe because I don't know her personally. I want to know her, though.

I looked at the setting sun, finding the words to say. I just had the balls to say something when the sun was no longer in sight.

"People have different ways of crying for different reasons. In your case, I think you're crying over some douchebag."

"Paano mo naman nasabi yan?" Napangiti na lang ako ng malungkot, remembering everything. I shook my head and looked down. I don't want her to see any vulnerability at this moment. Baka makadagdag lang yun sa sadness nya.

"Parehas kayo ng way ng pag-iyak ng mommy ko nung iniwan kami ni daddy." I answered. I can still remember my mom crying when she found out about dad's mistress. I was just 9 then. She'd been crying every day since then. It was just so traumatic that every time I see women crying, that's what I remember. I don't know why I'm telling her this but I just felt like she needs someone to comfort her. And I don't really like seeing people cry.

"So, I already told you something personal. Would you trust me now and tell me why you were crying?"

"No." She answered. "I don't even know your name, why would I trust you?"

"Well, you trust me enough to let me take you to dinner."

"Well duh, I'm hungry and sad, I need food! And what's better food than free food? Wala 'di ba?" She rolled her eyes. Ha! That was cute!

We laughed in unison when our order came. Parehas kasi pala ang inorder namin. Paborito rin siguro nya ang beef tapa at mocha cake. My heart flutters in different directions, knowing that we have something in common.

Shit. Why am I smiling like this?

"I'm Nikos Caprielle." I said then I offered my hand for a handshake.

"Celestine Serenity Concepcion."

"Serenity." I repeated her name. May certain calmness sa mata nya ng sabihin nya ang pangalan nya. Serenity, bagay na bagay sa kanya.

"Mahilig ka ba talagang mag-emote?" Shit. Bakit yun ang lumabas sa bibig ko?!

"Mahilig ka ba talagang mang-judge?" Sagot nya sa 'kin. "Hindi ko kasalanang ikaw ang nakakakita sakin sa tuwing gusto ko lang mapag-isa." She rolled her eyes. Beautiful, I thought.

"I apologize." Sabi ko. She remained silent.

"You can't control it, you know." I said. She raised her eyebrow. "Being sad, I mean. But always remember that you are loved. Hindi ko man masasabi kung sino kasi hindi pa naman kita kilala. But I'm sure that you are loved and there are people who wants to make you feel better ngayon. You just have to let them in. If you can't think of anyone then consider me as your friend."

She was looking at me and studying every word I said, I can say.

"Why would you waste your time crying over a guy who left you in the dumps? Sure he might have said sweet words that brought you to heaven but that's not what love is all about. If he loves you, he will never hurt you." I added. "You are perfect the way you are, if he can't deal with it then fine. You deserve better."

"You're right."

She smiled.

Then I couldn't stop thinking of her smile until I fell asleep.