Chapter 25

Chapter 25

Zoe’s POV

The doorbell chimed whilst I was in the kitchen.

 I was attempting to bake myself some chocolate cupcakes to ease my pain away. It hadn’t been easy dealing with everything that had happened in these last few days. From (probably) having ruined my friendship with Jack and Finn, to having my best friend turned against me, it had been difficult to get back to my normal smiley self.

I stopped in the middle of preparing the ingredients to go open the door. I wonder who would come visit me...

I opened the door to see Jack and Finn. I stood in the doorway, too surprised to see them to say anything at all. Even if I could manage to say anything, Jack beat me to the punch.

“Zoe, we are sincerely sorry,” he began in a rush, “But you see we didn’t believe you at first and then we saw the magazine and there was this book about us being completely assholes-”

“What are you talking about?” I said, clearly confused.

Finn put a hand on his brother’s shoulder and stepped in front of him, “May we come inside?”

I stood out of their way and they came in, Finn first, followed by Jack. We went into the living room, where both Finn and Jack remained standing while they motioned me to take a seat on the couch. I sat there without question and prepared myself to hear what they had to say.

“Let me start over,” Jack began, “We came here to apologize to you.  Your friendship means a lot to us and we haven’t been the best of friends towards you.”

“We should have let you explain instead we let our emotions get the best of us and we acted like total jerks towards you” Finn continued, “ We are truly and sincerely sorry for ever doubting you in the first place, will you ever be able to forgive us?”

Their eyes showed no flaws as they spoke. They were glazed over with so much emotion I couldn’t help but feel my eyes water as I watched them. A small smile formed on my face as I realized that I hadn’t lost them after all.

“Of course I forgive you,” I choked a little on my words, feeling the tears stinging the back of my eyes, “Both of you.”

They both let out a sigh of relief and the pained emotion of their faces soon vanished, replaced by a joyful one.  Staring at them, an important question came flooding into my mind, “Wait,” I said, my brows furrowed in thought, “but how did you two realize I wasn’t lying about Elizabeth?”

The twins looked at each other and then back at me, the pained emotions returning to their faces. “We saw her...” Jack spoke, “We saw her on the cover of Vanity Fair.”

My eyes widened and my hand flew to cover my mouth. I struggled to speak, mostly because a surge of guilt came flooding into me. I was the one who had originally told them about Elizabeth, though they didn’t believe me, I still felt responsible for their pain.

Though a lump had built up in the back of my throat, I somehow found a way to speak, “I know it must really hurt you to know the truth, but I had to tell you both- it wasn’t fair to either of you to be played by her.”

“It’s not your fault,” Finn said, averting his eyes, “You were doing what any friend would have done.”

I bit my lower lip. Even though what Finn was saying was true, it still didn’t make my guilt go away. Oh how I wish there was a way to make things right again!

After a moment of silence, Jack clapped his hands. The sadness in his eyes was replaced with a fire-he was in a fiery state of revenge.  “Well there is no more point in wasting our energy over the loss of our girlfriends, well girlfriend, since there is only one,” he said to Finn, “we have business to discuss!”