Chapter 27

Chapter 27

Jack’s POV

“So do you think we’re getting to her yet?” I peered over Zoe shoulder to see Elizabeth storming out of her seat and exiting the terrace.

Zoe turned around as well, “Oh, we are definitely getting to her. I can see it in her face.”

I let out a half-hearted laugh, “Good.”

Zoe turned back to face me, “You know Jack, you clean up pretty well for a fake date.”

I smiled in response. I have always wanted to take Zoe out on a date, even though I never had the courage to ask her. However, this fake date was slowly turning into something real.

I took her hand and stared into her grey-blue eyes, “You look beautiful as well.”

She blushed and slipped her hand out of mine. “Jack...” she said as she looked away.

“Oh c’mon, don’t lie to me and say you’ve never had any feelings for me” I said in a light tone.

Her blush turned a shade darker and she quickly redirected the topic, “So what do we do about Elizabeth now?”

“Well,” I began, looking in Finn’s direction. He was staring back at me with an expression as if to say “Where did she go?”

Bringing back my attention to Zoe, I continued my train of thought, “Well, she probably went the ladies room.”

Zoe nodded in agreement. “Maybe I should-”

She was cut off suddenly by a girl who seemed to be some sort of waitress, though she appeared to be a little young.

“Wine?” she asked offering a tray with a couple of glasses of red wine.

“Um, sure. Why not?” I replied as she placed a glass in front of me. She then proceeded to place another in front of Zoe. As the young waitress reached for the glass atop of the tray, the glass slipped from her glass and began to tilt towards, towards Zoe.

She stood up abruptly just as the wine hit the fabric of her dress.

“Christ!” Zoe yelled out in frustration, “I just bought this dress!”

The girl who had spilled the wine on Zoe covered her mouth, as if she was trying really hard to contain her laughter.

I stood up as well, offering my napkin to Zoe.

She waved her hands at me, “No, no. I’ll just go clean it.” She grabbed her purse and left the table, dabbing furiously at the wine stain.

By this point the waitress had disappeared without even apologizing for what she had done. Finn, who was on the other side of the terrace, had witnessed what had happened, just as the others around us had as well.

I shot him a look and he immediately understood. We stood up at the same time and walked into the restaurant, towards the washrooms. We stood outside the women’s room in the seating area.

“Did I see what I thought I saw?” Finn asked a little confused.

“You mean the wine spilling?” I asked putting my hands on my hips, “Yeah, and I have a pretty good idea as to who put that girl up to it” I said staring menacingly at the door of the ladies room.

Finn looked towards the door as well, “You think Elizabeth did it?” he asked with wide eyes. “I never thought she would stoop this low.”

“Zoe did say that she was getting along with her, and you know girls, they’re not like us boys, they find a more complex way to get revenge.”