25.

Louis sat on his knees, very still and very numb. He registered the screaming of pain next to him as Kendal's symbol turned a dark red, a sizzling smoke fleeting in the air as it burned her skin. She had cried and begged for Harry to open his eyes, begging and hitting his chest. But nothing happened, nothing but him growing paler by the second.

Louis knew his spirit would return to heaven, but would his body? Would he have to bury his best friend? And about what Niall? Niall loved Harry, how was he supposed to tell him?

"Louis," Kendal let out, her voice wavering. "What do I do now?"

Louis stayed silent, his mind racing for answers. He opened his mouth to speak, and then closed it again before opening it once more.

"You move on."

--

The Angels around them disappeared, obviously spreading their defeat. Michael returned with them, not before looking at Louis with much hatred and an unspoken promise. Louis still didn't move, his eyes never leaving Harry's face.

Time had passed quickly, still nothing happening to Harry. Was this it? Harry would get his wings back, but would they not take his body? What was he supposed to do with Harry's body?

The blood around him had dried, a copper smell never leaving his nose. He hated it.

And then reality hit him. Harry, the angel that accepted him after he had fallen, the Angel that befriended him when he knew Louis was trouble, his best friend, was dead. He was really dead.

Louis' form shook, maybe from sadness or anger, he didn't know. Angry at himself or at Harry, he couldn't tell. Probably both, probably more at himself. He should have never left Harry, he should never have let himself become weak over a human boy. He shouldn't have been allowed a mate, because mates made you weak, they distracted you from the world around you.

Louis suddenly stood, staring at Kendal with emptiness in his eyes. "Call the cops. Tell them you were out with your boyfriend when someone attacked you. You were knocked out and when you awakened, he was dead."

Kendal stayed quiet, staring at the ground. Her gaze didn't move.

"Understood?"

Another heartbeat passed before she opened her mouth, "yes."

--

Louis finally met back up with Niall, the boy more scared than worried, but when he caught sight of Louis he visibly relaxed.

"Louis." He breathed out, his eyes tearing up at the sight of his mate unharmed. "You're back. Where's Harry?"

Louis didn't answer, his gaze unmoving from Niall's face. He wanted to remember it.

"Harry is dead," he finally said. "he saved my life."

Niall gaped, his eyes widening and heart clenching painfully. "What?" He gasped out, his breathing coming out harshly.

"Everything will return to normal after today. Nobody will remember anything that happened." Louis continued as if he didn't just announce his best friends death.

"How?" Niall questioned, stepping closer to his mate. Louis only followed him with his eyes.

"I am leaving." Louis said.

"What do you mean you're leaving?" Niall's heart raced, his chest aching now to the dull pain.

"I am returning to Hell. Where I belong. Earth is not my home, it never was."

"What about me; what about us?!" Niall screamed, tears falling freely from his face.

Louis' face remained neutral, his eyes locking onto Niall's, before he turned. He said three words before he disappeared, "You move on."

--

And just as Louis promised, the sky rose the next morning and the birds chirped. People woke up in their beds and greeted their mates with a loving kiss. Mothers and fathers made breakfast for their families and people continued on with their lives. It was like nothing happened, it was as if the Earth didn't almost end.

Nobody could recall what happened the late night, but nobody focused on it. People moved on, it's what you're taught to do. You learn and you live, and you move on. At least that is what Niall learned.

Niall remembered, he remembered everything. At least, he remembered his mate leaving him. He couldn't tell you what happened after he was taken home, he could hardly remember what happened before that.

But it was the pain of complete betrayal that left him remembering his troubled mate, Louis.

Nobody else remembered Louis, nor did they remember Harry. It was like they didn't exist, except to two grieving people. They were a faint memory, but they were there.

"Hey, Niall. You okay?" His best friend, Zayn, asked.

"Yeah, yeah...I'm fine." He stared out the car window, watching the rain platter onto the window before rolling down and disappearing.

"So, Liam proposed last night."

"Really?" Niall turned to face Zayn, a small genuine smile stretching across his face. "That's great, congratulations."

"Thanks, I mean we aren't getting married until after graduation but you know, I'm happy." Zayn smiled, pulling into the almost full parking lot of his school.

"I can't wait for you to find your mate, you're going to be so happy."

Niall remained quiet, because he had found his mate, before he left him alone to move on. Would Niall ever move on from Louis? No, of course not. But he would move on with his life and he would wait for Louis. Because that's what you did when you loved someone, you waited for them.

--

Okay, I know it's been months and I'm so sorry. This isn't over, only a few more chapters. What do you want to happen before it ends?

Once this story is over, I will be editing and rewriting it. Not a lot, but some.

I hope you guys enjoyed this story just as much as I enjoyed writing it. Thank you for staying with me.