Chapter 9

Niall was walking to class when he was suddenly yanked from behind, a hand covering his mouth to prevent any noise from spilling out. He heard a door closing, and a lock being clicked into place. He brought his gaze up, and was shocked to see he was in the boys' bathroom. He turned around to face the person who dragged him in here.

"Louis?" He asks, confusingly. "Wh-what're you doing? I mean, w-why did you, why did you drag me in here?"

Louis runs his hand through his hair, and down his face. "I...I, I don't know... I just..." He sighs frustrated, and finally brings his gaze to Niall. "I needed to see you. It's so hard staying away from you... I crave your touch, and your smell.. I want you." His voice had dropped to a whisper at the end, and Niall stood there, shocked.

"You do?" He whispers. Louis nods, and leans back against the door. He was starting to think this was a bad idea. The urge to be around Niall had grown so much stronger now that they had touched; interacted. He wanted to stay away for this very reason. It was unhealthy how much he really wanted Niall, but he knew he wasn't the only one when he took a look around at other mates.

"Can you tell me something?" Niall bravely asks, making Louis snap at of his thoughts.

"Anything." He nods, urging Niall to continue.

"Who is after me? Who has you and Harry so scared?"

"Anything other than that."

Niall slams his hand against the wall next to him, Louis barely flinches back.

"No, you're going to tell me! All week you have been avoiding me, I'm being watched and stalked by Harry for my safety! I want to know, and I want to know now!" He yells, his face turning red in anger.

"Niall, it's a long story, and -"

"I have time." Niall calmly interrupts him. Louis lets out a sigh, and Niall knows he won and is about to finally find out.

"Niall, have you ever heard of fallen ones?"

Niall nods, "Like fallen angels? Angels that are kicked out of heaven for being bad."

"Yes, that is exactly right. The Angels are the reason we have mates, not the Government. You are only told that so you don't know there are beings higher up there. But, the fallen ones did not agree to this, they didn't believe in soul mates. They tried to destroy the creation, and were kicked out and they ended up here, and now... Now it's their mission to kill... Kill everyone with a mate.

When we ran, and they found out Harry had a mate, they instantly killed her. They're after us, after you. That's why -"

"Why you rejected me. You didn't want them to come after me." Niall mumbles, slowly taking this in. It all made sense but not really. They only kill people with mates? Wouldn't that mean they wanted to wipe humanity off the face of Earth?

Should he believe that? Was Louis telling the truth? If so, then he was in more danger then he thought.

Niall looked up at Louis, eyes brimming with tears. "This is all true? Everything you just said?" His voice cracks, and he struggles to stay calm. Louis, noticing this, rushes forward and embraces him. He brings him in close, tightening his arms around the sobbing boy.

"I told you I wouldn't let them hurt you." Louis whispers in his ear.

"What are you supposed to do?! You're only human!" Niall shouts into his shoulder.

"Yes, but I know someone who isn't."

Niall pulls back, confusingly stares at Louis.

"Who?" He questions, wiping his eyes.

Louis smirks, and with his voice low and calm he says, "Harry."

--

**THIS IS AN EDITED VERSION OF A NEW CHAPTER. ONLY SOME THINGS HAVE CHANGED