Chapter twenty-one

"Maya, why are you late?"
"Cause I didn't show up on time."
"Why didn't you show up on time?"
"Cause I'm late."
"Detention." Cory turned around and continued to write the lesson on the board.
"You forgive me for the night I drank and I will forgive you for yesterday.
"Deal." She turned towards the board.
"Maya."
"What?"
"Because you showed up to class late, you are going to write down all of the classes ideas in this chart." She looked at the chart that had three coeloms. He handed her the chalk. "Write small." She looked up at him with just her eyes and took the chalk, then standing up. After five minutes of writing down all of the classes ideas where Cory told her to, her arm was cramping Another five minutes passes and her arm was exhausted. She switched to her left hand for a few minutes but it was too slow so she switched back. A little while later, she was pissed. Cory could tell.
"Only a few more Maya. Be on time next class." They continued on for a moment and then she was asked to write something else but she only stood, looking at the ground.
"Maya?" She grabbed onto the desk.
"Maya, are you okay?" She nodded.
"What did you want me to write?" She asked, turning back to the board. Suddenly, everything was black and her muscles went weak. Cory ran to the girl, barely catching her before she hit her head. Her friends jumped up.
"Sit." Said Cory. "Riley, get the nurse." He bent down to Maya.
"Wake up, Maya." He whispered, moving her hair from her face. A moment later, her eyes slowly opened up.
"You fainted." She put her hand on her head and sat up. To Maya, the only sound she could hear was her heart beating in her head and Corys muffled voice. She stood up, ignoring Cory telling her not to. The nurse sent her home but of course she didn't go. Instead, she went to the Library.