Chapter twenty-five

On Wednesday, Maya showed up to work and was asked to see the buttons onto two jackets and help people whenever they asked. She nodded, pulled out the key to the cabinet, and opened it, grabbing the needles and black thread. A while later, Cory entered the room and immediately saw the girl sewing a button on a coat. He decided to use the machine next to her. He began to put his things in the washing machine and she didn't notice but just laud out a coat and then threaded the needle.
"Do you work here?" She turned around to see Cory looking at her.
"Do you need help?"
"I'll take that as a yes."
"Why do you care?" She went back to the coat. He placed the clothes in the machine, still looking at the girl sewing the button on.
"Does your mom know?" Maya kept working on the coat. "You can't run away from your job."
"I'm sorry but If I can't help you than I need to focus on this."
"Could you help me separate the whites please." Maya put down the button and stepped over to the table to help him.
"How long have you been working here?" Maya didn't answer but just placed something with the whites.
"You're not a very friendly worker."
"Don't you use the other laundry mat?"
"They closed." Maya nodded.
"There. That's all of the whites." She walked back to the jacket.
"Thanks for the help."
"Your welcome."
"Can you answer one question?" Maya looked up at him. "Are you okay?" There was a pause.
"I don't know how to answer that."
"What do you mean?"
"You said one question."
"Maya."
"I'm not okay. There." She went back to work and ignored Cory looking at her, as well as the feeling that she had, a longing to be held in Lucas's arms. After some time, when Cory was just about done with his family's laundry, she finished the jacket and looked up at the clock. She was done. She opened the cabinet and put the things back and then hung the jackets up. She put on her coat and grabbed her bag.
"You done?" She nodded.
"So am I. Wanna join us for dinner? I know you haven't eaten much Today. Riley told me."
"Thank you but I'll figure it out."
"Are you going home?"
"I'm going to the Library to do some homework."
"And then home?" Maya gave a fake smile and then turned on her heel and left.