Chapter twenty-two

Cory entered the laundry mat to see several people, including a short blond, focused on putting something in the dryer. He walked over to the girl.
"What are you doing here?" She looked up at him.
"Uh... Laundry."
"You need to be at home, resting." She put the top down and turned it on. "You shouldn't be out." She grabbed her bag and ran out. Cory did his family's laundry and then waited. Maya's was done but Maya wasn't there. When he was entirely done, she wasn't there. Before they closed, he took her stuff out and put it in a separate bag. She didn't have a lot. He brought her stuff back.
The next morning, he saw Maya at her locker. He tapped her on the shoulder. She turned around.
"This is yours." He said, handing her the small bag.
"Thanks." She said, putting it in her locker.
"Is that all of your clothing?" There was a pause where Maya just looked at him. He knew that she had more because Shawn had gotten her more than that. He grew uncomfortable and looked down at his feet, then looking back up, refreshed.
"What's going on, Maya?" She looked past him into the empty hallway and then back at him. He was sure she was going to say something until a moment passed where she was entirely silent. She had decided against it. She was looking at him with the same intense stare as before. He expected nothing when suddenly, the rock hard stare shattered and she let out a small sob, turning away. She turned back to him, wiping her tears away but looking like she was about to shatter if a fly landed on her.
"If you don't tell me, I cant help you." He really just wanted to hug her and tell her that everything would be alright like he would with Riley but he needed to use it as a way to figure her out, and her friends to figure her out. He didn't know that Maya would never expect him to care like that, until he saw the hopeless look in her eyes. She was lost and didn't know who cared about her. She couldn't even tell that Lucas cared about her. She bit her lip.
"I don't need your help." She said, leaving him to watch the actually, helpless girl walk away.