Chapter twenty-seven

Maya wandered down a street, wondering where she would sleep that night, though it had already fallen dark.  She was freezing. She stopped and leaned against the side of a building, watching people walk by, a lot of them going home. She was shivering and relying only on her winter jacket for heat. It seemed like she was always cold these days, even when she was in a warm environment.
"Hey little girl, how old are you?" Said a man. She ran in the opposite direction. Luckily, she lost him, unluckily, everything went black.
---------
Lucas looked at the girl with a bruise on her cheek from falling and a tube in her nose to feed her.
Riley was crying on her fathers shoulder, Farkle was tapping against his leg, impatiently, and Topanga was quietly calming Katy down. Maya had hit her head again when she fainted, on top of malnutrition. Lucas sat down on the edge of her bed and began to stroke her hair, so glad he had found her.
Suddenly, her eyes slowly opened.
"Maya." Said her mom, stepping towards her, tears rolling down her face. Mayas heart dropped. She never wanted to see her mom like that. She turned away and found all of the people in her room, looking at her.
"You're awake." Said Riley.
"Why are you all here?"
"You faint-"
"I know why I'm here. Why are you here?"
"Because we're worried." Maya looked up at the ceiling and the nurse asked everyone but her mom to leave because she was clearly overwhelmed.
"Mr.Matthews told me about John kicking you out that night. Has he been doing this all along?"
"He said he didn't want to see me or he would send me away again."
"Oh. Why didn't you tell me?"
"You were happy with him."
"I wasn't happy with him."
"You weren't?"
"We were having some issues. He's moving out."
"So I can come back home?"
"You better."
"Thanks mom."
They sat together in silence for a long time. Right before Maya fell asleep, she spoke.
"I'm gonna get better."

THE END