Chapter sixteen

Maya sat in the back seat, uncomfortably, knowing her friend and teacher had just seen her bear chest. Riley and Cory were more concerned about her health. Cory looked in the mirror to see Riley looking at Maya worriedly, and Maya holding her arms and looking out the window. He wondered how much Riley knew about anorexia and even Maya, though she had it.
"Again, I'm really sorry, Maya. I wasn't thinking about that at all, I was thinking about your health."
"It's okay."
"No, it's not okay."
"Mr.Matthews, It's fine."
"It's not like you really had anything to hide anymore." Said Riley. "You look eleven." She said, triggering her own tears.
"Riley, don't cry." She said, hugging her.
"I don't know what you see in the mirror but if you think it's not scary, you're wrong." Cory parked the car as Maya pulled away from her.
"It was an accident."
"Starving yourself was an accident? Wanting to deprive yourself of what is nessisary to life so you can look like a skeleton?"
"I wanted control and I lost it all."
"What?" Cory opened up the door and the girls climbed out into the snow.
"I have no Control. I thought I had it until I did literally take a good hard look in the mirror. I didn't know. I see what you see. I hate myself. You don't need to tell me to." Maya took a few steps back from them on the sidewalk, covered in snow, reflecting the orange glow from the street lights. Cory put his hand on his Rileys back to comfort her.
"Maya. I thought that you wanted to be this way."
"I don't want to be eleven when I'm fifteen."
"Some people do, Maya." Said Cory.
"My roommate did."
"Did she use the pills too?"
"She's was there for the same reason I was. So she wouldn't be around. She was expelled too."
"She gave you the idea of not eating?"
"She was bulimic. She is bulimic. She told me how in control she felt. I wanted that."
"Let's go inside." Said Riley, Maya stood still with her arms by her side until Riley grabbed her hand to bring her in.