Chapter twenty-six

Maya was at her locker the next afternoon after school.
"I knew where to find you." She closed her locker but didn't look at Cory.
"Maya?" It was Lucas's voice.
"I figured that you would open up more to him." Said Cory. Maya was still facing her locker and looking at her feet. "You don't live at home, do you?" Said Cory. She felt a hot tear slip from her eye to her cheek. She didn't know why. The words just stung her. She was tired of it all.
"Maya?" Another tear.
"When your dad kicked you out that night, you didn't go back?"
"I went back to get my bag."
"And you haven't been back sense?"
"No." She said, almost inaudibly. Lucas wrapped his arms around her and held her. She hid her head in his shoulder and began to lightly sob as he stroked her hair. After a moment, she pulled away and looked at him. He wiped her tears away with his finger. He didn't care that Cory was there. He just leaned in and kissed her, passionately. Cory didn't stop them, though he had to hang onto the bench, tightly. They broke apart and a smile appeared on Mayas face, making Lucas smile. Lucas turned to Cory.
"You're still here?" He nodded.
"I'm gonna call your mom."
"I'll have to leave again."
"Why don't we talk about this tonight. You can stay tonight with Riley."
"Thank you."
"I'll see you then." He walked away.
Lucas moved a piece of Mayas hair behind her ear.
"We a thing?" He asked.
"We're something."
"Are you mine?"
"Ya." And they kissed again.