Chapter three

Maya had avoided Lucas all day. Now she was at Rileys, on the couch with Riley and Cory as he entered. She immediately jumped up and took a few steps back, carefully. Riley stood up, reading the fear in her eyes.
"What's wrong, Maya?" Asked Lucas.
Maya looked at him hard.
"What?"
"What's going on?"
"You don't even remember." She tried to run out of the room but Lucas wrapped his arms around her and pulled her back.
"What are you so upset about?" She was squirming and tried to kick his leg but he moved it out of the way.
"Maya!"
"Lucas, let go of her." Said Cory. He reluctantly released her into the arms of her best friend.
"Just tell me."
"Last night."
"You saw me?"
"I was in your room!"
"You're afraid of me because I was drinking?" Riley and Cory were in shock.
"I was mad at you because of that."
"But why are you afraid of me?" Maya looked away. "Did I do something?" He asked. She stepped up to him.
"I don't want to say this but I want Riley to be safe."
"What?" He asked, utterly confused. "I'm putting her in danger?"
"I don't want you to ever drink again. Not only because of your health and safety, but because you're gonna hurt someone." Cory grabbed her arm lightly, pulling her away.
"You drank and then you hurt her?" Said Cory.
"Maya..." He was overwhelmed. "Maya... I hurt you." Maya didn't answer. "I'm so sorry. What did I do?"
"It doesn't matter."
"What did I do? I could have seriously injured you."
"I said it doesn't matter."
"Just tell me." He pleaded. "At least tell me where I hurt you."
"My stomach." Cory was already holding one of her arms and Lucas grabbed the other."
"No, Lucas. Please don't." He ignored her and pulled her shirt up just enough for reveal the scars from the glass and the bruises on her ribs. He dropped her shirt and stepped back.
"I don't care, Lucas. Just don't drink again. I need to know that Riley is safe."
"Then don't leave."
"They're not supposed to know."
"You're leaving?" Asked Riley.
"I live in New York. I'll live in New York as long as you do. I'm not leaving it." They all watched as she left. Then they both turned to Lucas.
"You hurt my best friend." She stormed off to her room.
"Lecture time." Said Cory.
"I think I've learned my lesson sir. I know I did." Cory still gave him a short lecture about alcohol but he swore he would never do it again.