Chapter 33 - True Colors Shown

For the duration of the trip in Monte Carlo, Christine was anything from relaxed. Her husband had promised romance, adventure and everything they had when they were in their youth prior to their run in with a certain Opera Ghost. Unfortunately as soon as they arrived, Christine was dreadfully tired and retired off to the hotel room for the evening while Raoul had said he would go out drinking for a little while before joining her in their chambers. They agreed right there on the lobby that he was to be back by midnight as he kissed her tenderly on her lips, savoring the feeling of her softness for just a little while as he whispered goodbye. Christine could do nothing but blush as she waved her husband adieu, watching until she could no longer see his frame exit out the building. Taking their key and walking up to their room, she thought nothing of her husband wanting to relax as she dressed in her nightgown. Laying down utterly exhausted from traveling all day, she dreamt about all the wonderful things that would occur on their second honeymoon as Raoul ventured off into the streets of the city. There were many nightly activities to be had but none of them interested him except for the bars. He found one he seemed to have an interest for and ventured inside, finding it to be not only a bar but also a small gambling ring in the back of the place. This intrigued Raoul for he had never gambled before, his eyes watching the men in dress trousers and no sleeved white shirts throwing dice around and taking bets.

He walked over to the bar, ordering whatever special local beer they had on tap as he continued watching the events from afar, trying to figure out how exactly to play the game. The two dice were rolled landing at a four and a seven, causing only one man to cheer and collect the inner pot as the rest of them grumbled about them losing. One even slammed his fists down on the table as he demanded a new game to be played, to which the rest of the group agreed shortly thereafter. The man with the idea pulled out a deck of playing cards, signifying the game was to be poker. Raoul had played this game before, smiling as he watched the gentlemen eager to collect their cards.

"Your drink Monsieur," the bartender stated, sliding the glass over to Raoul's awaiting hand.

Raoul grasped it and paid the man, nodding his head as he walked over to the commotion and watched the game being played. He was unsure if he belonged here; his entire was indicating his higher-class status compared to the rest of the men sitting around the table. They each eyed their cards carefully, trying to take peaks of the others as smoke from their cigars filled the air immediately surrounding the area. The dealer handed the last cards to the men, all of them but two folding as the two eyed each other carefully. They were sitting opposite of the other, one of them clearly trying to have a poker face while the other sincerely believed he won. When the cards were revealed, the one with the poker face actually won, collecting the money in the middle as he cheered over his luck. Raoul chuckled at the group as he continued drinking his beer, admiring the taste of it since he had never had alcohol from Monte Carlo before.

"Mind if I join you gentlemen?" Raoul boldly asked, taking the only open chair next to the biggest of the group as he placed his beer beside him.

"What makes you think you have what it takes pretty boy?" the dealer said, eyeing him up as he inhaled the flavored tobacco.

The group smirked at the dealer's words, not daring to laugh as they awaited Raoul's reply, "I dare say I do enjoy a good game of poker. My brother Phillip taught me when we were only boys, he always beat me."

The group then decided it was time to laugh, not taking Raoul's words seriously as they could not believe the boldness of this stranger. Finally the dealer then settled them down, smirking, "If you want to spend your money with us, we won't turn yas away."

Raoul smiled as he finished his beer, waiting as the bids were placed inside the middle of the table much like they did before. Raoul decided to throw in a few francs more then the rest of the group did which did not go unnoticed by the rest of them. Once the bids were placed and the cards were shuffled, the dealer gave them all a series of cards and the game official began. It went just the same as it did last time, the cards were dealt again and people folded and raised the bid. However Raoul had a struck of luck as he knew his hand would ultimately win him the round. It was three of them this time, showcasing their hands to one another as the group discovered he did indeed win the game. The cheers were spread for the new lad; the rush of winning was wonderful. He honestly never felt anything of the sort before, the jittering of being so close to victory but unsure of himself and then to find out he did indeed win; the feeling was quite overwhelming. Surely he could state he had won many times before, he had riches beyond imagination, a loving family, a beautiful wife which he technically won from that monster, an adorable newborn son and a company he was about to inherit as well as a title. Yes, he was certainly anything but a loser.