Chapter 27 - Events Unraveled

"Vicomtess?" called the familiar maid, peeking her head around the door as she slowly opened it.

Christine was sitting at her dressing mirror, staring at her reflection as she brushed her chocolate curls to try and tame them. She had woken only an hour and a half ago, after she had requested a bath and taken it, she decided it was time to get ready for the day. Her silk baby blue nightgown and matching robe hung over the stool bench behind her, the petite frame gently holding the wooden brush as the daylight reflected a flattering angle for the maid to gaze upon.

The Vicomtess gazed at her maid in the mirror but did not smile at her question. She continued brushing her locks while gazing towards her door, "Yes Caitlin?"

The maid timidly entered in the room and closed the door slightly behind her, "The Vicomte requested your presence for breakfast Madame."

"Let him wait," Christine replied, turning her gaze back to her own reflection as she continued with her hair.

"But Madame, he is in a foul mood this day. Surely we do not want to feed his temper," warned Caitlin as she folded her hands together.

"Please do not speak out of term," replied Christine who had placed the wooden brush back down on the vanity. She turned her frame towards her maid and forced a small on her face, "I shall get ready then. If you wouldn't mind fetching the forest green dress from my wardrobe and helping me with my corset?"

"Yes Vicomtess," the maid replied, hurryingly walking over towards her wardrobe as Christine stood from the stool.

She sighed softly as she went towards her full length mirror and undressed from her robe and nightgown, letting the garments lay over the back of a wooden chair as she placed a slip over her head, making sure not to tangle her hair that she spent so long taming. After a few minutes, Caitlin appeared with her matching corset and began tying it behind her back, making sure it fit correctly but not to the point where she would have trouble breathing. Christine was a married woman after all and did not need to impress a man.

"He means well Madame," Caitlin began, finishing up the last of tying behind her, "his love for you is limitless."

"Caitlin..." Christine warned, wondering why she was speaking so freely all of the sudden.

"My apologies Madame," she replied, walking away from where they stood to retrieve her dress.

Christine sighed to herself once she was gone. She knew the woman meant well, and in some odd twisted way she was sort o a mother figure to her; teaching her how to behave like a Vicomtess and how to behave like a proper high class lady when no one else would teach her and she was thrown into Raoul's world. Raoul had said he did not care, but she could always see the stares of the people he was trying to impress and she was tired of embarrassing not only him but herself as well.

Just then her maid came back with the garment and helped her put it own. Both of their hands began flattening the dress to make sure everything was in its proper place before Christine returned back to the dressing mirror. She sighed and decided she did not need to place any make up on herself today, she simply did not have the patience for it. Quickly she pinched her cheeks lightly and then followed her maid out of her room. While going down the stairs, Christine noticed the house was eerily silent when normally there were a few maids or even cooks running around and keeping the place in order. She thought to ask Caitlin why it was so silent when she heard a crashing sound come from the kitchen area and then yelling from none other then her husband.

"Caitlin!" Christine whisper yelled to her maid, pulling her frame to the side of the stairs so Raoul would not see her, "Please be a dear and attend to my son. See if he is hungry or needs anything."