Chapter 34 - Revenge

Meg began socializing with those that were around her, trying to ignore the feeling within her chest that something wasn't right. She knew that she hated the fact that Erik was not around for her to lean on for support but started accepting the notion as more alcohol was consumed. She would not parade around these people a complete mess but she would drink enough to calm her nerves, especially since she wasn't an experienced drinker. Meg had talked to various investors, cast, journalists and whomever else decided to attend as she made her rounds, all while still trying to avoid Mr. Pearce to the best of her ability, despite that he gave her lustful looks throughout the night. Things were going well for the prima donna, though it came to a crashing halt when her space had been invaded. It was when she got an unexpected tap on her shoulder that she knew it was him, the one she had been avoiding all evening though she could do so no longer. Meg closed her eyes in defeat and took in a shallow breath, mentally preparing herself for the events that were about to occur.

Slowly she turned around, excusing herself from staring at the crowd as she found Mr. Pearce behind her with a grand smile on his face, "Mr. Pearce, are you quite enjoying yourself this evening?"

Her curls bounced around and behind her shoulders as she flashed her signature smile, sipping on the italian wine in her glass while trying to sound interested in whatever it was he wanted to talk about, "Why yes Miss Giry, I am. Thank you for the invitation to your grand debut. You were indeed sublime on the stage tonight."

Meg fought hard to hide her blush as she spoke, knowing he was just trying to seduce her to get another round of pleasure," As I stated before Mr. Pearce, you humble me with your flattery."

"But it is a flattery quite earned Meg," he replied, sipping his own glass as he winked at her direction.

It took all the courage she had within her to not roll her eyes at his cheap attempts to bed her, but she would play his game for now and leave him wanting more so that he would still fund Phantasma as they apparently desperately needed, "Have you had a chance to speak with any of the dancers we recently hired thanks to your generous investments?" 

Meg then turned to the side, pointing to two of the dancers who had to be Meg's age, if not a little younger. They both turned to gaze at Mr. Pearce as Meg pointed them out, one a brunette and the other a blonde as they smiled wide and twirled their hair, obviously trying to flirt with him as they knew Meg was trying to set them up. Mr. Pearce followed Meg's gaze and spotted the two dancers, a smirk forming on his face as he signaled them to not approach their conversation.

He chuckled then, returning to look at Meg, "Lovely as they are, they pale in comparison to your grace and beauty."

Meg then turned back to look at Mr. Pearce, raising her eyebrow as she suddenly realized he might of actually fancied her instead of just trying to get her into bed. Then she thought that his only method was perhaps trying to get her into her chambers, but for now she was uncertain of his motives and decided not to ponder over it much longer tonight. This was a night of celebration for Phantasma and of her opening night, not of her courtship or anyone trying to win her over. She took another swig of her drink then, trying to prolong her rebuttal as she thought about what she was going to say to him next.

Another smirk plagued his aging features as he chuckled softly by her nervous nature, "Meg, I know that you and I met on rather interesting terms," he began, watching her movements as he began speaking to her. Her eyes sparkled with interest over his words as her body language screamed to run away. This left him feeling quite confused but he continue with his question regardless, "but I was wondering if you would es-"

A loud bang was heard from the other side of the room, the sound echoing off the walls as a gasp emitted from Mr. Pearce's lips while his eyes grew wide. Meg instantly grew concerned that he was having a heart attack from his lack of response, confused as to what made him startled instead of continuing his statement. She suddenly began to see him fall slightly towards her, her arms outstretching to catch him so he would not hurt himself any more then he apparently already was. His body then collided with her as they both fell to the floor, her glass dropping so she could grip him tighter while spilling its contents before they both made a loud thud.