Chapter 23 - Embrace Your Destiny

A/N: Oh look, updated twice this week. You all are welcome. This chapter is dedicated to @themabelian because she keeps inspiring me to update and her works are wonderful. If she was already dedicated to, sorry haha. 

Also, there are three songs in this chapter. Two you should recognize but the other some might not, which is the song Losing My Mind from the musical Follies! 

Finally, thank you for 1,000 reads!!!!! Makes me feel amazing that so many people like my story!

'Why does he not want me?' she thought to herself as she raced away from Erik's office and into her room. She had just appeared from there and when she thought things were finally going to change between her and the Phantom, she had been sadly mistaken. He had paused, he had let her go, and more importantly he did not run after her. She must have been the biggest fool to throw herself after a man who did not want her again and again, after so many times of him voicing and showing her that he had no desire to be anything more than friends.

Frustrated, she stormed back into her room and quickly locked the door, making sure no one could walk in on her packing her bags to leave this island behind. A small tear trickled down her pinched cheeks as she searched for her suitcase, knowing it was practically almost still packed since they had just arrived. She secretly thanked herself for not unpacking yet as she found it and placed it on her bed. After she searched all of the dresser drawers, the closet, and anywhere on the floor to where any of her belongings could be, all she had to repack was her night gown, her brush, and her make up. After doing so, she locked her suitcase quickly and glanced out the window.

There was not a soul wandering about the island as she sighed, glancing out to the distance. The sun was closer to the horizon then she remembered it being, wondering how exactly that much time had passed. She had just enough time to quickly eat, write her mother a note, and then find Charles so they could take their leave. Placing the suitcase under her bed once more, she made her way out of the room and scurried down to the streets below, searching for something to eat. She had not nibbled on anything since yesterday and she was quite famished.

"Meg!" called an unusually chipper voice from her right.

As she turned to find the owner of the voice, she found Gangle walking towards her with a huge grin on his face, "Good Afternoon Meg, how are you this fine day?"

Meg blinked and looked up at the weather, having not noticed it before. It was a rather beautiful sunny day, hardly a cloud flooded the sky and it was neither hot nor cold. It was truly a wonderful day, "Fine but quite famished if I will admit, do you know where I can find some nourishment?"

Gangle chuckled as he smacked his own forehead, "Of course Meg, how silly of me to not let anyone else know. Come, I shall show you to our kitchen where everyone prepares their own meals!"

Meg blinked a little bit, realizing it had been quite some time since she had had the responsibility of cooking for herself but shrugged as they made a short five-minute walk to an abandoned restaurant. Just as the rest of the island, the outside was of utter disgrace but the inside had been cleaned and ready for either remodeling or business as Gangle made his way to a different room inside. She followed him as she realized it was a kitchen of some sorts, the appliances looked like they needed to be replaced but were very clean as she spotted the freezer box.

"Do you need me to cook for you Meg? I hardly 'a thing to do since the Master has been busy with paperwork" he asked as Meg made her way to open the freezer box.

"That won't be necessary Gangle, thank you. I have a lot on my mind anyway and wish to think it over in silence," she stated without emotion as she found some items that she could make for a meal.