Chapter 31 - Prima Donna

A/N: Above is the picture of her dress. I edited it so it would look like it is supposed to look so if the coloring is slightly off, that's why. Anywho, enjoy :]

One week had passed since Erik had finally taken Meg on the stage with repeat performances in his office and his bed. The man had been obsessed with pleasing her ever since they finally decided to consummate their relationship and Meg could not have been more than happy to oblige. Erik was paying attention to her in every which way possible that she could have imagined and with the theatre finally finished with its renovations, it was time to have their premiere performance. Erik had been making deals with several businessmen on advertising the show and the park, making sure to give free tickets to tonight's show to certain people well known in the city. Meg on one hand was elated about singing in front of a large crowd and on the other hand she was terrified. This performance could make or break her singing career regardless of how well she was trained. Meg did not know what these well known people form the city expected from a poor chorus girl, correction now prima donna of this new establishment on Coney Island but her mind did begin to wander over the possibilities. 

Meg's lonely frame wandered the halls until she found her new dressing room, entering it without anyone disturbing her. The walls were similar to the prima donna room back in the Opera Populaire but with red tones mixed into it. It was also lavished with a luxurious couch, chairs, tables with tea, a vanity and a changing quarter with all of the essentials needed for her to use and prepare herself for shows. The room was truly beautiful with two windows letting the sunshine settle against the opposing walls, exposing their truest of hues to her viewing pleasure. It also included a fully furnished bathroom with running water, something she had never used before.

Two hours before it was show time, Madame Giry came rushing into Meg's prima donna dressing room, bringing her performance attire along as Meg stood on a stepping stool to aid her mother with final alterations. It was an off white ball gown, decorated with integrate detailed lace that opened in the front while not revealing a single piece of skin below her waist. The top exposed her delicate shoulders as her arms were covered all the way down to her wrists, her bosom slightly showing but not too inappropriate for her performance. She could honestly see herself as a bride while her mother slipped the garment over her slip, fastening it down to the floor as her mother began pinching just a little to make sure it fit perfectly. A single tear escaped her as she looked at herself in the mirror, picturing herself walking down the aisle towards the masked man she was singing for, loving him for better or for worse.

Her mother finished the alterations on her gown, taking a moment to look at her daughter as a gasp escaped her lips, "Like a queen in a book, you are beautiful Meg."

Meg blushed at her comment, her hair wild as it cascaded down her back, "I wish I could say the same for my hair."

"Say no more my dear," her mother responded, aiding Meg off of the stepping stool as she led her towards the vanity.

Meg stood as her mother worked her hair into a subdued top bun with a few ringlets dangling down her back, as was the current fashion of someone of higher class. Madame wanted her to blend in with high society so she had to look the part though she was just performing. She then placed a headband made out of crystal flowers on top of her hair, completely the hairdo with ease. As soon as she was done, her mother spinned her around, painting her lips a soft pink and lining her eyes with charcoal.

Once done completing the prima donna's appearance, her mother looked at her daughter and smiled softly, "perfect."

Meg then looked at her completed attire, gasping as she saw herself in the mirror. She hardly recognized herself, her hands gently caressing her cheeks and then going down to her skirts. She truly looked like an angel and not like her former self.