Pointe shoes

Every little girl dreams of getting pointe shoes.  They watch as the older girls dance seemingly flawlessly during the performances with a sweet smile.  They want pointe shoes so bad and they can't wait until they are old enough to get them. 
    When I got my first pair of pointe shoes, I was so excited.  I sewed up the ribbons and elastic and I waited a few days before I finally got to do pointe in class.  The first time on pointe, my teacher had me be on pointe for fifteen minutes. 
    Now don't get me wrong, pointe shoes are great.  I have been on pointe for only about six years. Still, I like to think of pointe shoes of as death boxes. 
    You think those dancers on the stage are enjoying themselves completely?  Nope, as we smile while dancing on stage in pointe, we are gritting our our teeth.
    I guess I should explain the picture, I had pointe today and I just snapped a picture of my toes after I was done with pointe.  My feet always look like that after pointe and right now my big toe is hurting and has been for almost three hours.  Ah well, it should be better by the morning.
    Pointe shoes are great but you need to be pretty tough to handle them.  I love them and they are great sometimes.  Some days, I love my pointe shoes and wish I could keep dancing in them.  Other days, I am extremely frustrated and am in quite a bit of pain. 
   I love pointe shoes, but it's a total love and hate relationship.