Chapter 5

I looked down at the clipboard. All it said was, "On the cake, write 'Have a PhenomeNIALL Birthday!'" I smacked him on the arm.

"You had me scared to death!" We started play fighting. I pinned him down.

"I knew I'd get your attention that way!" He broke free, spun around on the couch, and flopped on top of me; his knees on either side of my legs. He threw my hands over my head and pierced them into the couch cushion. We were laughing the entire time. He leaned in and kissed me. He eventually let me go so I could sit up. He ran his fingers through my hair, and I twisted his through my fingers. I think that I'm starting to love him. I mean, I already knew I loved him because of One Direction, but, that's fan love; Not true love. Does that even make sense? I know we only just met, but, he's perfect... We broke from the kiss and I lay on his chest. His feet are propped up and he's playing with my fingers. He kissed my head and asked me, "Why do you love me so much? I mean, why do I take over the other lads with posters in your room? Why was I the one that you talked to for so long? The one you had over for dinner, watched a scary movie with, made out with, fell asleep with? Why am I the one?"

I sat up and looked him in the eyes. "You're Niall. The cheeky blonde Irish boy. I can pick your voice out when all of you boys are singing as one. You're so unique. You're passionate for what you do. All those other girls may not see it... But I do. Haters are going to hate. Nobody can come close to being you. There will never be another Niall to love. Nobody could ever replace you because you are so perfect."

"Really?"

"Yes! And when I look into your eyes, I see this beautiful shade of blue. Like a crystal. Or the ocean. They're bright and... Well.... Phenomeniall. Then there's your smile. It can light up a room. Even if the room has millions of lights already in it. Your smile makes it even brighter. Your smile was perfect before the braces, with braces, and, now, without them. But, I don't only like the physical things. I love your sense of humor. Your laugh. Your heart. The way you love everyone. I love your soul. Your passion. The way you think. Everything about you is what makes you so lovable." He was smiling and blushing like crazy. So cute!

"What about you?"

"What about me?"

"What do you see in me? Why did you look at me the way you did at the signing? Why did you give me your number? What made you want to go on a date with me?"

"Well... For starters, you're beautiful. I love the way your brown curls bounce an sway as you walk. The way your green eyes glisten when you see me. The way we looked at each other for the first time, it felt like we were the only two people in the entire world. That's why I gave you my number and wanted to go out with you."

"What about now? Now that you've gotten to know me, what do you like most?"

"Most? Hmm... That's too hard to choose! Well... I love your smile. Your passion for party planning. Your organizational skills. Your laugh. The way you blush when I embarrass you... Like that! The way you look away when you try to be shy. When you tried to act tough during that movie. And, most of all, I love that I was your first kiss! But, I have a confession..."

"What's that?"

"You were mine, too." He looked almost embarrassed. I kissed him on the cheek.

"You're amazing, you know that?"

"Why's that?"

"You waited so long for your first kiss."

"So did you. So, if anyone's amazing, it's you." He kissed me.

Once we broke, he looked me in the eyes.

"What are you looking at?"

"Just... You."

"What about 'Just... Me?'"

"Just your beautiful face." I felt my cheeks flush. "I love it when you do that!"

"Why do you love it?"

"It's just a great feeling that I get knowing that I can make you blush by giving you a compliment."

"You should blush more so I can get that feeling, too." He smiled at me.

My phone started buzzing on the coffee table. Just as I leaned to get it, my ringtone started to play. I slapped my face with my hand and answered the phone.

"Hello?"

"Hi, honey." My mom said.

"Hi, mom. What's up?"

"Not much, hon. Um..."

"Mom, what's wrong?"

"Well, I won't be home in time for your birthday..."

"What?! What happened?!" Niall looked at me with concern on his face.

"One of the cruise ships broke down so the one I'm on had to add five more stops to our travel. On the way to the second new stop, our ship malfunctioned, too. Now, I'm on another ship going to twelve more stops. So, instead of being home on Wednesday for your birthday, I'm going to be home on Sunday. I'm so sorry, honey! I didn't mean for this to happen." I felt tears welt in my eyes. I couldn't wait to see my mom! I couldn't wait to spend my 20th birthday with her! "Izzy, are you ok?"

"Yeah. I'm fine." I was trying to fight back the tears.

"Izzy, I know you're disappointed. I really wanted to be there. I just... I can't. But, this way, I'm going to be off of work for another week to because I'm working there, instead. So, we can spend time together!"

"Oh. Well..."

"Well what?"

"I kind of met someone and I'm going to be spending the next few weeks with him." I grabbed Niall's hand and smiled at him.

"Oh..." She sounded disappointed. "Well, lucky for me, I met someone, too. And he's coming to Houston to visit his son."

"Oh. That's nice, mom."

"Well, I have to go. I'll talk to you later. Love you. Bye."

"Ok, mom. Love you, too. Bye." I hung up and looked at Niall. "My mom just told me that a ship malfunctioned so they had more stops added, then, her ship did the same so she's on a different ship with a guy she met coming here to see his son. Could that be your dad?"

He, frantically, took his phone out of his pocket and dialed.

"Hi, dad! Yeah. Yep. Everything's fine. Yeah. Ok. Well. Wait! Dad! I'm trying to ask you something! Did you meet a single female on the ship? I don't know what her name is! That's why I'm asking you!" He mouthed the name 'Cynthia' to me. I nodded, agreeing that that is my mom's name. He slapped his forehead. "Yeah. Ok. No details needed! Thanks, dad. See you in a few days. Yeah. Alright. Love ya, too. Kay. Bye." He hung up the phone and made a fist. He slammed it down, hard, onto the coffee table.

"What's going on?" I asked him. He looked up at me.

"They... Uh... Met at a bar on the ship... And... Uh... 'Hit it off...'" He used air quotes around 'hit it off.'

"So... Did they... Um... You know...?"

He nodded. I can't believe that my mother would have sex with a guy she just met! And my boyfriend's dad, at that! I can't believe this! Niall stood up, pacing back and forth.

"I can't believe this! Our parents! Together!" He formed another fist and punched the table, again.

"Niall, it'll be alright!"

"No! No it won't! He's gonna propose to her when they get off the ship! I can't let my dad do this! I won't let my dad do this!"

"Don't you want our parents to be happy?!" I stood up, too.

"Of course I do! But, I don't want them to interfere with us and our future!" He punched the table, again. He's really taking this to heart!

...He calmed down, a little bit, and looked me in the eyes. He walked over to me and grabbed both of my hands. "Because... Isabelle, I love you. I know we've only known each other for a short time, but, you're perfect and... I love you." Holy crap!