Prologue

Prologue

The Betrayal

I kiss his lips. 

Gil laughs and starts to kiss my neck, going down. I sigh when he bites and then kisses the area. "Dear Maker, Gil." I whisper. He continues to kiss me, until he reaches my lips. He stares into my green eyes and starts to play with my hair. The basement door suddenly opens and we jump up, Gil taking his shirt on and I taking my velvet dress on me. 

Mother looks at me and sights. "Ser Gilmore, I am sure you have other... duties to attend to."

"Of course. My lady," he says and bows to us. I giggle and get up, cleaning the dirt off of my red velvet dress. Mother looks at me and I am ready to be scolded. "Dawn! I told you to cut off this relationship! It is not good!"

"And do what?! Marry a fucking noble that doesn't care about me? And carry his babies? Thanks, but no."

"Watch your language, miss. Your father wants to see you."

I scoff and head upstairs. "Whatever you say, Mother." I take the bow that was leaned against the wall and put it on my back. "Dawn, a lady doesn't have weapons."

"Mother, please let me be." I say and start to walk to the meeting room. Every guard bows before me and I smile at them. A typical day in my life. I hate to be Lady Dawn Cousland. I can barely go out and hunt, or train and can't be with whoever I want. I get into the meeting room, where Father was talking with dear Arl Howe.

"I expect they will start arriving tonight, and we can march tomorrow. I apologize for the delay, my lord. This is entirely my fault." Arl Howe tells Father. It seems like the troops have been delayed.

"No, no. The appearance of the darkspawn in the south has us all scrambling, doesn't it? I only received a call from the king a few days ago, myself." Father walks near Howe. "I'll send my eldest off with my men. You and I will ride tomorrow, just like the old days!"

"True. Though we both had less gray in our hair then. And we fought Orlesians, not... monsters."

Father laughs. "At least the smell will be the same." he turns around and looks at me. "I'm sorry, pup; I didn't see you there. Howe, you remember my daughter?"

"I see she's become a lovely young woman. Pleased to see you again, my dear." I suddenly feel the need to vomit. I give him a fake smile and look at my dress.

"And you, Arl Howe."

"My son Thomas asked for you. Perhaps I should bring him with me next time."

I frown and look at Father. "I've no interest in an arranged marriage."

"See what I contend with, Howe? There is no telling my fierce girl anything these days, Maker bless her heart." I giggle and smile at dad. I love him more than anything. He taught me how to use and hold a sword for the first time.

"Quite talented, I'm sure. One to watch." I want to roll my eyes at him, but I stop in time.

"At any rate, pup, I summoned you for a reason. While your brother and I are both away, I'm leaving you in charge of the castle." I gasp and look at him.

"What? I want to go to Ostagar and fight with you, Father!" I whine.

"I am sorry, pup, but I cannot to this. Your mother would kill me."