Chapter 16- The Proving

"It's so good to have some real good food in your stomach." Leliana sighs, patting her full stomach. Alistair scoffs and she quickly looks at him. "No offense, Alistair, I really like your... lamb soup?" She tries to guess.

"It's rabbit, thank you very much."

I laugh and take a spoonful of my delicious pigeon stew. I take the dwarven ale from Alistair's side take a sip from it. "Hey!" He shouts and takes it from me. "You can't get drunk before the Proving."

I shrug, taking another spoon of my stew. "So, dear Warden, how did you sleep last night?" He asks with an innuendo.

I take a sip from my water and look him in the eye. "I hope I didn't make too much sound, dear Zevy-Zu."

Alistair chokes on his ale while the whole table starts to laugh. I laugh to, while patting Alistair on the back, that now has a red face. I giggle and kiss his cheek, making him even more red. "The Proving should start and I should really go." I get up and so does everybody else. "You don't need to come with me."

They all start to argue, saying that they want to be there to see me 'kick their arses'. Zevran gets next to me and smiles. "I hope that the assassin training will prove to be of good use."

I laugh. "I hope so too." We all get into the Proving grounds. I give them a thumbs up while they go to seat down and I go to the Proving Master. "The Proving will begin shortly. I'm sure you can find a place in the stands. Or were you here to take part in the fight?"

I nod. "I'd like to fight as Lord Harrowmont's champion."

"Well, that's a surprise. Never thought the Grey Wardens would take an interest in our king. Let me just put you into the schedule, here..." he murmurs while writing something. "Now, is there a particular name you wish listed?"

"You may call me Dawn."

"We'll just call you 'Grey Warden', seeing as those human names are a real burr to pronounce." But... dawn is a used word. Whatever.

"Sure thing."

"We actually have an opening in the first round. Are you ready to start?"

"Of course." I go down to the ring, where he indicated me to and get into the arena. Everybody is cheering and screaming things I cannot make out. I look around for my companions and I see them sitting in the front row. I flash them with a smile and look at my opponent. "This is a Glory Proving, fought under the eyes of the Paragons of Orzammar to honor the memory of King Endrin. First up is Seweryn of the Warrior Caste. Many of you remember when Seweryn made history as a lad of twelve by defeating his own father in this very ring."

I look at the armed warrior that bows before me, or us. "Today, he fights as a champion for Prince Bhelen. Opposing him in Lord Harrowmont's name is a member of the famed Grey Wardens!"

Seweryn look me in the eye. "In the name of House Aeducan and our future King Bhelen!"

"For the glory of Lord Harrowmont."

"First warrior to fall is vanquished. Fight!" The Proving Master shouts and I get out my daggers. I know I can't beat this guy with my bow so I have to use what I have, even though I am bad with daggers. He launches at me with his shield and I dodge in time, thank the Maker. He slices the air with the sword, probably trying to hit me. I go for his legs, cutting one of them, making him wince. I run and give him a low kick, hitting him below the belt. I hear a few "oooh"'s when he falls on the ground. I put my dagger around his throat, winning the fight. I could stop when I wanted, but I think this is enough. "The winner is the Grey Warden!" I smile and get out of the arena, drinking a cup of water.