Chapter 9- Connor

Chapter 9- Connor

I look with my eyes wide open at the corpses that are running towards us. I take out my bow and shoot a couple of arrows at them. I crouch and aim for the heart- if they even have one- and I shoot. The corpse lets out a battle cry and runs towards me. I get my daggers out and jump, sticking them into its head. Tons of them are coming and I start to run out of arrows. I stretch to get some arrows from the quiver, but I grab nothing. "Shit," I swear under my breath and get my daggers out. I don't like fighting with them, but if I have to I will. When I drag the dagger from a corpse the blade shakes and breaks from the handle. The corpse starts to swing its sword at me and I do my best do dodge. "Sten! Help me!" He turns his attention to me and kills the corpse. "Andrastes' tits!" I swear. "I don't have a weapon," I tell them. Sten offers his huge sword, but I cannot even lift it. Leliana gives me one of her daggers and switches to her bow.

"Quickly we need help defending the chantry!" I hear a scream and see Tomas telling us to move. I look at Ser Perth and his men. "Protect the entrance!" I shout at them and run after Tomas. I cut off a corpse's head and run towards the chantry, to help the militia men. Dozens of them come and attack us and I can say that my daggers won't take it. I gulp and move towards the chantry. Crap, crap, shit. Baby howls and comes near me, protecting me from all the corpses as I try to kill them with my useless daggers. I see how a corpse wields his sword and cuts two of our militia men in two. I gasp and look away, trying to kill as many as I can. As the dawn comes no corpses show up. "I think that's all of them," Murdock says.

The militia men get into the chantry and tell the people that is safe to come out. I go upstairs, near the doors of the chantry as all of the villagers come out. "Dawn arrives, and we survived the night. We are victorious!" Teagan tells the people. I hear Leliana giggling and for the first time I hate my name. "And though this victory came at great cost, we must remember none of us would be here were it not for the heroism of these good folk beside me." he then turns to me. "I thank you, my lady. Truly, the Maker smiled on us when he sent you here in our darkest hour."

"There is still much more to do, Bann Teagan." He chuckles and turns to the people again.

"Let us bow our heads and give honor to those who gave their lives in defense of Redcliffe."

"With the Maker's favor, the blow we delivered today is enough for me to enter the castle and seek out our arl. Be wary and watch for signs of renewed attack. We shall return with news as soon as we are able." He looks in my eyes. "Now, we're no time to waste. Meet me at the mill. We can talk further there." I nod and turn at my companions and show them the way.

"Alistair, I have a question."

"Of course."

"What changes about you after the Joining?" I ask him

"You mean other than becoming a Grey Warden?"

"I mean what changes physically."

"Hmm. You know, I asked Duncan this, too, and all I got was, 'You'll see' ."

I scoff. "Just try that line on me."

He chuckles. "I have other lines for you, trust me."

I blush and look away. "Really? Why don't you try them?"

"I might, just you wait. It's not that Duncan wants to keep it a secret. It's just that the Grey Wardens don't discuss it much. I gather it's not a pleasant topic. The first change I noticed was an increase in appetite. I used to get up in the middle of the night and raid the castle larder. I thought I was starving."