Chapter 28: Saying Our Goodbyes

[Jack's POV]

"Well... We're were." Bob frowned, saying those words with a tone I had hardly ever heard him use. All of us were silent. We knew what was going to happen. We just don't want to accept it. No one would.

Bob stopped the car, and turned off the engine. We all got out of the car, and just stood there, quiet as can be, until Wade broke the silence.
"I don't know how to say goodbye, Jack." He sniffled, about to cry.
"No one really would." Chase replied.

"I... I'll start first." Wade walked up to me, looking directly into my eyes. "Jack, you are one of my best friends. I don't know what to say. You're the most likable guy I know, and you've made such a difference in so many people's lives. Especially mine. You mean so much to me, and I don't want to say goodbye." He cried, tightly hugging me. I hugged him even tighter, letting tears fall along with him. After a long embrace, he stepped back, eyeing Bob to speak next.

"Well, what can I say, Jack? 'You got this man.' or 'I believe in you.'? We all know what's going to happen. It's inevitable. I just want you to know that we love you, and you hold a special spot in all of our hearts. I'm sorry I'm not saying you shouldn't do this, but I know that I'm not going to change your mind. But please know that you will be missed." Bob gave me a short hug, and allowed Chase to speak.

"Well Jack, although I've known you for a short time, I know you are the nicest guy around. I... I don't know where I'm going to go after this, but hopefully I'll find out. But just know..." He starts to tear up, appearing as though he was in deep thought. "Just know you were more of a father to me the past two days than my father ever was." He hugged me, tears in his eyes, as I gave him an endearing hug. It lasted for what seemed to be forever, and he backed up. All three of them stared at me, all of them either in tears or crying.

"We'll probably be waiting for Mark. So we'll be out here if for some reason you need us."
"Thanks."
I walked in, still not accepting what was going to happen.