Chapter 38: Is Mark Ready?

[Mark's POV]

"Alright, Mark, what are you planning?" Jack asked, squinting his eyes and smirking.
"Nothing, darling! I just want you to have a wonderful day! Is that too much to ask?" I smiled, pulling at the collar of my tuxedo.
"Well... I guess not." He laughed, his smile lighting up the room.
"So, what do you want for dessert, Sean?" I asked, pulling out my wallet.
"Oh no, Mark, I-"
"Ooo, there's a chocolate fudge cake in here!" I exclaimed, almost drooling over the cake on the menu.
"Cake!" Jack yelled as loud as he could, making everyone's heads turn towards us. We both just laughed, getting the attention of the waitress and asking for the cake.

<><><>

"Mark, this day has been so awesome. Thank you so much." He kissed me on the cheek, as I continued to drive to the park.
"So Jack, wanna try some American Football?" I asked.
"You know I've never been that good at sports." He laughed, putting his hand on his neck.
"Who cares?"
"I don't want to embarrass myself in front of Chase!" He laughed out of embarrassment.
"Come on... How about some soccer?"
"Ugh. Fine. Just don't laugh when I fall flat on my face."
"No promises." I laughed. He pushed me a little out of frustration, laughing along with me.

<><><>

"Mark, we're gonna mess up all of our clothes!"
"Relax, I'll clean them."
There was a long pause, as Jack squinted his eyes at me.
"I'll end up having to clean them, won't I?"
"Probably."
He gave a huge sigh, but then smiled.
"Go long, Mark!" Jack said, grabbing the football. I ran as fast as I could, going far enough so it was difficult to catch the ball. He threw the ball, and I could see it going in the direction of my hands. But right before it hits them, Chase runs over and slaps the ball away.
"No no no, not today!" He taunted. Jack and I had started to laugh hysterically, laughing at how funny our son is.

"Mark, the picnic by the lake will be in a little bit. I'll leave a half an hour before you get there and set everything up." Chase whispered as he threw the ball back at Jack.
"Awesome."
"So, are you ready for it, Dad?" He asked, patting me on the shoulder.
"I don't know." I replied, catching the ball and throwing it back to Jack. "As long as everything goes to plan..." I felt myself start to sweat, and felt my face abruptly heat up.
"Woah. Relax, dad. You know he loves you with all his heart. Even if you fuck up." He assured me, laughing.
"I guess so. I just want everything perfect for him."
"This day is perfect. You know he thinks that. He thinks you are perfect. You should know that, after what happened last year."
I almost gagged at that thought. A year ago was a long time ago. It reminded me of all the things we've been through, and all the things we are willing to do for each other. I smiled a tiny bit, thinking about how Jack saved my life.

I was afraid of messing up, however. What I was about to do... If I mess it up, who knows what will happen? No, I need to be ready for this. I just don't know how it was going to turn out. I was scared for my life. But I quickly stopped my deep thinking, when the nerf football hit me directly in the face. Jack started hysterically laughing, falling to the ground out of laughter.

"Hey! Was that on purpose?" I asked with a chuckle.
"Maaayyybe..." He giggled, picking up the soccer ball from the pile of stuff we had.
"I'll get you back for that!" I yelled, running up to him from behind and beginning to tickle him.
"No! Mark! Stooop!" He laughed, trying to push me away.
"Nope!"
"Please stop! I'll do anything!" He pleaded.
"Annnything?" I asked, still tickling him.
"Yes! Now please stop it!" He yelled, gasping for breath. I stopped tickling him, chuckling a bit.
"Alright, you've got to make out with me." I laughed.
"After you held me captive and almost made me shit meself? No way!"
"You said anything."
"I-"
"Shut up nurse! Make out with me." I yelled, as he laughed from my Mad Father reference. He drew me close, his hand on my neck, and began to kiss me. I kissed back, smiling through it. I began to shake, however, from the remembering of what I was going to do tonight.
"Mark? Are you ok?" He asked questioningly.
"S-sure. Yeah."
"Hey! Where did Chase go?"
"Oh, he told me he needed to go do something. He'll call us when he needs us to pick him up."
"Um... Ok. Do you think he'll be ok?"
"He'll be fine. He's strong, like me!"
"Sure. Like you." He rolled his eyes at me.
"Hey, it's really getting dark. Shouldn't we go and find Chase?"
"Don't worry. I have one more thing I have planned. Follow me."

<><><> authors note <><><>

Hey y'all! Sorry, this chapter's purpose is to add a little bit of fluff. That's what the majority of these last chapters are: fluff. But I hope you like them anyway. If you like this book, punch that favorite button IN THE FACE, LIKE A BOSS! Annnd high fives all around!

I love y'all