Chapter four

"Clearly you guys need to talk so. I'm gonna go. See you later Abs." James says walking out of the mess hall.

"We should probably go to my quarters. Get some privacy." Abby says, leading the way. Marcus and Callie follow closely behind her.

Abby let's them walk in, then shuts the door behind them. Abby leans against the door as she looks down.

"Well. Start explaining." Callie says.

"Jake had a brother. That's all there is to it." Abby said, looking up at them.

"Abby. Keeping that type of secret is a crime. You know that." Marcus says.

"Was a crime." Abby corrected him.

"It doesn't matter. Abby you should have been floated. Why did you keep that secret?" Callie says.

Abby doesn't answer. She wants to say so many things to her, but she bites her tounge.

Callie huffs in frustration, "are you really that stupid?"

"I guess I am cause I thought down here we could be friends again. You two need me I'll be in medical where I am needed." Abby says storming out.

Callie sighs, "no Wonder you hated her on the Ark."

Marcus's lips twitch up into a smile. "I'll go talk to her. Calm her down."

Callie let's out a short laugh, "you know its funny. I use to be the one that would have to calm her down. I remember she would get so frustrated in council meetings with you. Oh. Man how red she got."

"I'll be back and we will all talk about this like adults. okay?"

"Okay."

___

Marcus walks into medical. "Hey. Pretty rough on her back there."

Abby continues working. "I tried. I tried to be her friend. But it didn't work out."

"Not all friendships are smooth sailing." Marcus says as he sits on one of the tables. She refuses to look at him, but he looks at her. "Ours isn't."

Abby looks at him sharply, "so you have decided we are just friends."

Marcus sighs and looks down. "I didn't mean-"

"Just go. Kiss and make up with her cause you know I'm not that girl." Abby says.

Marcus grabs her arm and makes her look at him. "Stop. Drop the act. I know you Abby." He says sternly. "Quit playing this tough girl act cause I know that somewhere down inside...you do give a crap about me.....and Callie."

Tears form in her eyes, "please. Let's talk about this. Like adults." Marcus says his voice soft and caring.

Abby's voice is shaky, "okay."

___

"Okay. I'll do the talking." Marcus says. Callie nods along with Abby. Marcus continues, "so Jake has a brother. Why didn't you tell anyone?"

"I didn't......." Abby coughs, "I didn't know till after Jake died. And when I found out. I didn't want to talk to anyone. Especially my closest friends. So I just kept it to myself." Abby looks up, Marcus nods, a sign for her to continue. "After a couple months after Jake's death I knew if I told I would be floated." Abby says talking slow and careful.

"So you just kept it a secret?" Callie asks.

"Yeah." Abby says.

"How...um...how did Jake and James....their parents....how did they manage to keep that secret?" Marcus asks.

"Their biological parents had a close friendship with their neighbors. The Roberts. Mrs. Roberts didn't want the pain of having a kid, but wanted the experience of being a mother." Abby explained.

"Okay." Marcus says slowly. "So Jake's parents had James after they had Jake? They risked that?"

"No. They didn't. Jake and James are twins. They didn't want to select....they didn't want to choose between the two kids. So they were pretty lucky that they had the Roberts." Abby said.

"Wow. I can't believe they risked their lives to save one person." Callie said.

"Some people were born that way." Abby says.

"Okay. Abby. I need to talk to you. I want to improve security. Mount weather. They had cameras. Right?" Callie said changing the subject.

"Yes. They did." Abby answered.

"Good. I want to go and strip the cameras. Use them for our camp. Put them up around the perimeter of the camp. What do you think?" Callie asks.

Abby nods, "good idea. I'll lead a team tomorrow to get the cameras."

"Permission to join team." Callie says.

"Oh. No. Sorry Callie you can't come." Abby says.

"Why not? You can't get the cameras. You don't know how to unwire them correctly. You could damage them. Come on let me come. And if this is a security issue. Marcus can come." Callie says.

"No. No. No. I can do this on my own." Abby says.

"Abby. Maybe she's right. What's two more people gonna hurt?" Marcus says.

"No. That's final. You two are not coming. I've made my decision." Abby says opening the door to lead Marcus and Callie out of her quarters.

Another chapter !!! Making up for lost time!!!!
~Sam