chapter eleven

"Hey Marcus. Jaha. Glad to see you're alive by the way. What are you two up to?" Callie asked as she sat by them in the mess hall.

Marcus and Jaha look at each other, "tell her." Jaha says.

"Tell me what?" Callie asks looking at Marcus.

"Jaha has found a way to save our people." Marcus says.

"Really? Save us from what exactly?" Callie asks.

"Everything. Betrayal. Pain. Hurt. Grief. Death." Marcus says.

"Love?" Callie asks.

"What?" Marcus says as he chuckles.

"Well if this way to save our people saves us from pain, grief, hurt, anger; then does it save us from love?" Callie asks.

Jaha holds out the key, "this Callie can save our people. Will you take the key?" Jaha asks.

"Does it take away love?" Callie asks.

"You didn't answers my question." Jaha says.

"You didn't answer mine." Callie said.

"We asked first." Marcus says.

"Touché." Callie says as she chuckles. "Listen all I'm saying is that I want Abby to test it. I mean come on you guys. Would you two give this to...to Vera or...or Wells without having it tested first?" Callie asked.

Marcus and Jaha look at each other with complete confusion.

"Vera?" Marcus asks.

"Wells?" Jaha asks after Marcus.

Callie sits back in her chair, looking between the two men.

"Vera. She was your mother Marcus. And Wells was your son Thelonius." A.L.I.E. says.

The two men nod in understanding.

Callie takes the key out of Jaha's hands. "I'm not saying I won't take it, but I can't take this without knowing the truth." She stands up and walks back toward her quarters.

"She'll come around." Marcus says.

Callie knocks on her door. "Abby. I got it."

Abby let's her in then relocks the door. "What did you find out?"

"Whatever this thing is," she says handing Abby the key, "its taking away their minds."

"What do you mean?" Abby said.

"When I looked at them, their eyes were blank. Like they were emotionless." Callie says.

"We'll find out what this is and how to stop this." Abby says.

"Abby. He doesn't remember Vera." Callie said.

"What?"

"And Jaha. He doesn't remember his own son. He doesn't remember Wells."

Abby says silent, thinking.

"Whatever this key is.....its taking away their memories. Abby we have to stop this." Callie says.

"We will. I promise but we-" Abby is interrupted by a knock on the door.

Abby walks to the door and opens it.

"James." Abby hugs him, then pulls him inside.

"Thank god. I couldn't find you anywhere." James says.

"Hello again." Callie says.

"Hi." James says. "So what are you two doing here?"

Abby and Callie tell him about about the key and the city of light.

"Oh. Is that what Jaha's support group is?"

"Support group?" Abby asks.

"How many?" Callie asks.

James thinks for a minute, "Hard to say. Fifteen. Twenty. Somewhere in there. Why?"

"They're getting an army. Abby. We have to stop them." Callie said.

"Well in case you haven't noticed I'm fresh out of ideas." Abby says.

"What if we tried to get the real Marcus back?" Callie asked.

"Callie-" Abby says.

"No. Please. You tried to stop Jake from making the biggest mistake of his life. Let me do the same for the man I love. Please." Callie said.

Abby thinks about it. She knows that he has to be okay. James's words come to mind.

"Are you going to tell Callie?"

"Listen Callie. Marcus is important to all of us. I know you love him, so please can you hold yourself together to save him?"

"Yes. Of course." Callie said.

"Good. Okay. So we need a plan." Abby says.

My band director got me hooked on this song and then told me what its about. And I cried for a long time. But its such a good song.

~Sam