Chapter Twenty

Someone tackles Abby to the ground. She realizes its Sergeant Miller.

"David. Please." Abby mutters as she struggles to push him off.

He wraps his hands around her throat. Abby begins to gag. She can't breathe. She reaches for her gun and puts it to his chest.

"I'm..sorry." She manages to get out before she pulls the trigger. Blood pours all over her as she pushes Miller aside.

She hears a beeping. Everything stops.

"Abby it's ready." Callie yells as she fights off another person.

"What do I do?" Abby yells back as she runs to the control panel.

"There's a lever. Pull it. It will activate the machine." Callie screams.

Abby turns toward the control panel. She sees the lever. She puts her hand on it.

Is this the right thing to do?

What if it doesn't work?

Silence brings Abby out of her thoughts. She turns around, her hand still on the lever.

Callie and Bellamy are being held by members of Arkadia.

"Abby. Pull the lever." Callie says as she struggles against the man holding her.

"You've lost." Marcus says stepping forward. "Can't you see that?"

Jaha also emerges from the crowd of people. "Give it up Abby." He says.

"Never. You'll have to kill me." Abby says.

"Last chance. Take the key." Marcus says inches from Abby.

"No." She says.

"Then you have chosen death." Marcus says.

"No. I've chosen life." Abby says then pulls the lever.

The earth shakes hand all of the chipped people fall to the ground.

"Marcus." Callie says running toward him.

Abby smiles at the two people, then runs to the radio.

"What are you doing?" Bellamy asks.

"James should have been here by now. Something's wrong." Abby says.

"James?" She asks.

Arkadia

James is in the room with the access to the escape tunnel.

"James." Says a voice.

"Sinclair. Jackson." James says turning to them. "Nice meeting you here."

"How dare you ruin what's perfect. A.L.I.E. gave us everything." Jackson says.

"Now. Calm down. You deserve to have your mind back." James says, backing up to the wall.

"You are trying to destroy everything that we have worked for." Sinclair says.

"Guys just listen to me." James says.

The earth shook and the crowd of people in the room fell to the ground. They all struggle to get up.

"James?" He grabs the walkie.

"Abby. You did it." James says stepping away from the wall. "Our people our safe."

"What about the bomb?" Abby asks.

James checks his watch. "Well. We'll see in five...four...three...two...one...---"

An explosion goes off in Arkadia.

Radio tower

"James?" Abby asks in the radio. There's no answer. "James?" Abby starts to panic, "James. Please pick up. James!"

"Abby. You need to see this." Bellamy calls from the balcony.

She runs up the stairs. "No." Abby says as she sees the smoke rising from where Arkadia once stood.

She runs down the stairs, out the door, and in the direction of the smoke.

She finally reaches Arkadia and it is in Flames. She runs into the Ark. She reaches the escape room. "James?" Abby yells.

"Abby." James mutters.

Abby runs over to James. "I told you to get out." Abby tells him, holding him.

"I had to stay and help." James says.

"We got to get you out of here." Abby says

"No." James says, trying to get him up.

"Come on. James." Abby says.

"Just. Go. Go and live your life. For me." James says, pushing her away.

"Not without you." Abby says.

"Abby. You have someone you love out there. Just go and live your life for me. Please. Promise me." James says.

Abby hesitates. Then she kisses him. "I love you." She says. "I promise. I will move on and live my life."

"Thank you Abby." James says as his eyelids shut.

Abby lets the tears fall down her face as she leans her head against his. She allows herself a moment, but she quickly leaves just in time for the Ark to collapse.

Well this is pretty much the end of this book. I'll have an introduction to the third book soon.
~Sam