Chapter 2

"We had visitors."

Aunt Haazra and Uncle Haroon would be here soon, they were Isaac's parents. Uncle Haroon had been dad's best friend, therefore, all the decisions regarding our family were taken only after his consult. I just hoped they weren't here to discuss my marriage with their son.

I had decided to do the cooking as it had turned into my passion in recent years. Mom was proud of my cooking skills and thought that I would make a good wife, as the saying goes, 'The way to a man's heart is through his stomach.' I always wonder how weird the notion is, men are definitely complicated species.

I planned on preparing choco lava cake for dessert and help mom prepare mutton biryani for the main course and lamb soup plus chicken lollipops for starters.

They were considered family and visited us often. Unfortunately, after dad left us, Uncle Haroon had to singlehandedly manage all the projects and did not possess enough time to visit us as often as he intended to.

I took a quick shower and slipped into a full-sleeved cream coloured gown with navy blue coloured floral prints which came down to my ankles and I rolled a matching navy blue hijab over my head, tightening it using a cream coloured brocade.

When I had nothing else to do, I sat in the living room, bored out of my mind. I browsed through my phone, found nothing interesting than I flickered through the magazines kept on the table, nothing interesting there either.

I was waiting for Uncle Haroon's family to arrive as I had not met Rushda from ages. She was Isaac's younger sister and we were best of friends, more like sisters but she had married early and could not make it to the university. Haania had decided to join us too and a happy smile came spread across my lips. But the happiness did not last long as once again my memories headed back to the time dad was with us and the raw pain in my chest grew terrible. I did not know how to cope with life after his departure as I had been so dependent on him.

Even though he was a brilliant scientist and worked in an international company, he always had time for us. Me, Ali and Ayath had always been more close to dad than mom.

The family get-togethers were always fun as he never ceased to amaze the guests with his hilarious talks. I scanned around our silent house and hot tears cascaded down my cheeks.

Why did you leave me, alone dad? I need you. I am sure that you wouldn't ever burden me with your decisions.

Dad knew my deepest secrets, the dreams I held and my desire to become a successful scientist like him.

I couldn't allow the people around me to crush my dreams. It was unlike me to go along the flow.

Lunch seemed to be a never-ending affair as the atmosphere had turned completely sour after I had outrightly disagreed to marry Isaac.

I had tried to convince Isaac that it was in the best interests of both as this relationship wasn't going to make either of us happy.

He proved to act more civilised than expected and agreed that I should be given the chance to focus on my carrier. His eyes held pain and my heart ached to break my best friend's heart but it was impossible for me to think of him in any other sense.

His lips curved upwards, breaking into a rueful smile, the one that did not reach his eyes, 'Aleena, I understand your qualms. I'll always be there for you if you ever need me."

My eyes roamed over his features; huge brown eyes, sharp nose and full lips. It was impossible to miss the sadness in them but I was going to turn him more miserable if I would agree to become his soulmate. We could never achieve that unrequited love that could calm my shattered soul nor could I ever give him the unconditional support that any marriage required. A small heartbreak now was way better than a lifetime of misery.

"Aleena, it's my responsibility to ensure that you're happy. None of us is going to force our decisions on you," My brother added gently and I hugged his return, breaking into sobs.

"Oh god, I never imagined you to dislike me to such an extent. I'm hurt," Isaac tried to lighten the environment.

I thanked him several times for being so understanding to which he had simply replied that his love for me was true and there would come a time when I would return to my senses, "I would rather stay alone all my life than forcing you to marry me. I'll wait for a day that will bring me your love."

"Keep dreaming," I added laughing, 'I'll pray that you find your match."

'Fine. But ask God to send me someone as wonderful as you."

"You'll find someone better," I replied with conviction.

What I did not know was the fact that all my dreams would come crumbling down and leave me bare. I had read somewhere that Life can never be Candies and Rainbows and I was soon going to learn what that actually meant.

I was also going to learn that the storm had only begun and the aftermath held a lot of destruction in store for all of us.