<Chapter 23>

I was sitting in the hallway praying for Aahil's life when one of the doctors finally came out from the treatment room. I leapt to my feet, "He is going to be alright, isn't he?"

The doctor hesitated, "We are transferring him immediately to a city hospital for further diagnosis, there aren't any good hospitals around, to thoroughly identify the chemical he inhaled, he needs to pass several tests and that requires efficient hospitals."

I nodded my head in agreement, "But- he will be fine, won't he?'

"We will try all we can, Mrs Hussain. But frankly, we don't have much hope."

"How could you say that? Nothing is impossible for the Almighty and I hope for his mercy," I replied distressed, "Of course, he is going to be alright," I kept on saying that to myself so many numbers of times in the past several hours.

The doctor was about to reprimand me, but when he looked up and saw tears in my eyes, he turned around and walked towards his cabin and let me be.

After about half an hour I rode to the city in the ambulance plane with my unconscious husband.

Even though Aahil could not hear me, "I kept reassuring him that he will be fine during the entire flight journey."

I kept reading all the Surahs from the Quran which I had memorized, followed by reading the supplications from the small dua book which was always present in my handbag.

__________________

Thirty minutes later, Aahil was lying on a bed in a room of the emergency ward.

There was a pulsating oxygen mask on his face and an intravenous drip in his arm.

Dilshad was frantically pacing up and down, "You have to treat him and diagnose whatever is wrong," He yelled.

One of the doctor's said, "I should ask you both to leave the room. This is an emergency ward and we need silence here."

"No," Dilshad screeched, "I'm staying right here."

He walked over to the bed where Aahil lay unconscious and took his hand, "Come on bro. Wake up. We need you. The country needs you."

"Dilshad, we would like to finish the examination, so could you please leave."

Tears filled my eyes and I couldn't stand there any longer. Dilshad and Aahil were best of friends and It was clearly visible how distressed he was.

He turned to the doctor, "I want a private suite and twenty-four-hour private nurses."

"Can we discuss this later, Mr Athar?"

Dilshad said defiantly, "Fine, I'll is waiting in the corridor."

For the next couple of days, I slept in the cot in Aahil's room and stayed by Aahil's side as much as the doctors would allow it.

Most of the times Aahil was rushed downstairs in a stretcher for a number of MRI scans and CAT, x-rays as well as extensive blood work.

A few numbers of more sophisticated tests were also scheduled.

In the suite we were booked in, a number of highly qualified doctors were assigned to tend him.

Aahil had still not regained consciousness and I did not know what else to do other than asking Allah to heal him. I knew supplication was the weapon of a believer and I had no means other than praying. I had complete faith that my prayers would be answered.

One of the doctors was doing a routine check-up and I waited patiently for him to finish his examination, as I wanted to question him about Aahil's condition.