Chapter 39

Aahil sat hunched over the bed for what seemed like an eternity. His eyes seemed to have permanently fixed to the laptop screen and he was lost in thought.

I kept pacing the length of the floor, focusing on the past conversations that I have had with my father, ragging my mind for any possible word that could be used as the password.

Even though the present situation was very stressful, I couldn't help but doubt uncle Haroon's intentions. I had tried dismissing the negative thoughts in the past but right now I had to wonder whether this could be a trap to attain information.

Aahil got up from his place after long moments of silence and extracted his phone from his trouser pockets.

"Hello."

Silence.

"Detective Hamilton we need your help."

Silence.

"I believe we have found our first potential clue and I wish to report it to the crime investigation department immediately."

Silence.

"Thank you."

Aahil slipped his phone back into his trouser pockets and looked wearily at uncle Haroon before he took a seat in one of the vacant chair present in the room.

"I need to clarify a few things."

Uncle Haroon returned a blank expression.

"When did you realise that Ayaan Aboobaker was in trouble."

"I and Ayaan were best of friends and often discussed our researches, but when we were working on the UPSIDE project, he seemed to act secretive and began avoiding me."

"And?"

"I never ever thought that it could be because of the threats he had been receiving. I was sure that he was working overtime so that he could achieve fame and I had made up my mind that I would beat him."

"Then how did you realise that he was receiving threats?"

"One winter evening, we were given off a few hours earlier than usual due to the weather. I decided to go home, but had to change my mind."

"Why?"

"Because of the flat tyre."

"Somehow I don't believe everything you say."

"It's your take, do as you please," Uncle Haroon replied rudely, "Should I continue?"

Aahil nodded his head, "What happened after that?"

"As you know that laboratory is situated in a very deserted place in order to lessen the air pollution and if I were to be left behind then I wouldn't find any public transports. Therefore, I made my way back to my workplace. I thought there might be someone who could help me as I didn't have a spare."

"Carry on."

"I was flabbergast by the scene I witnessed there."

"What did you see?"

Uncle Haroon took a shuddering breath. He spoke slowly, it felt like he was visualising the scene in his mind. "I entered the spacious laboratory and found it to be dead, there wasn't anyone in sight. Everyone had vacated because of the weather announcement. I decided to call home and ask Isaac to bring down his car to fetch me. I was about to turn on my heels when I heard hushed whispers."

He ran a hand through his head, "Could I get a glass of water?"

I got up from my place and went to the kitchen taking robotic steps, my mind was acting like a whirlwind, processing too much at the moment.