Chapter 38

Salaam readers,

I'm in love with all the wonderful comments and messages I receive. It never ceases to amaze me of how lucky I'm to have found such amazing readers.

"Can I have a word?"

"Of course," Aahil looked up from where he was sitting on the lounge eating the chocolate dessert, but it seemed like he was lost in thought and wouldn't even know if he ate sawdust.

Noor took his seat beside him, "What are you thinking?"

"It's nothing," Aahil replied with a slow shake of his head.

"You can tell me," Noor invited but Aahil was adamant that there was nothing wrong.

Finally, Noor turned towards me. His forehead covered with lines of worry, "Aleena could you please let me know what's going on? Aahil isn't being himself from the previous evening. He isn't even talking to me or making eye contact."

I bit my lower lip with worry. I did not wish to offend him on his face. Partly I too agreed with Aahil, as we couldn't be completely sure of Noor's intentions. Could we?

Nothing was as simple as it seemed.

"He isn't himself after he has gotten shot and I believe that's the reason for his sour mood," I replied with uncertainty and gazed in Aahil's direction to find him send me a grim expression.

"Excuse me. I believe it's time I called it a day. I'm exhausted."

"Good night," Noor answered with a soft smile.

I got up from my place and made my way to the upstairs bedroom.

Once inside, I slowly closed the door behind me and opened my closet with shivering hands.

It had suddenly struck me that there could be a possibility of finding some clue in my room, among my things, as dad had so confidently declared that I had access to the information.

A thorough search of my closet, drawers, bookshelves and all other possible places rewarded me nothing. Sadly I gave up my search when I heard the soft knock on my bedroom door.

I opened the door and cringed internally at Aahil's expression.

"What's wrong with you?" He grimaced.

"What?" I sounded confused.

"It looks like there was a mini hurricane. The whole room is messed up," He threw his hands in the air in a gesture of frustration.

"It's unfair of you to be angry on me when I'm clearly trying to help you."

"I don't think to put my brother in the spot of a criminal can be of any help to me."

"Fine. If you want to keep arguing on that matter it's your wish."

"Aleena I understand that all the stress has taken a toll on you and at this point, we are unable to trust anyone, but suspecting our own family members is only going to make things worse."

"Ok," I stormed out of the room when he held me by my wrist.

"Let go of me," I tried to wriggle free from his hold. "I have realised my worth in your life. I just say something that goes against your family and you are ready to brand me as a liar. For god's sake, they are my family too," I threw at him in provocative intent, hoping to douse the dark flames of arousal in his intent stare.

Aahil didn't flinch. True, a momentary gravity tightened his facial features, but it swiftly turned soft, "I'm sorry I didn't mean it. I agree that you might have genuine reasons for suspecting him but as a brother, it is impossible for me to put him on that spot."