Chapter 30

His intonation threw me off balance for a second. Intent golden eyes watched me with the grace of gazelle in flight, light glittering fire in that amazing curtain of vibrant hair.

My return look was blank.

"Haven't you recognised me yet?"

I shook my head.

"Oh, you have broken my heart," He muttered jerkily, keeping a hand over his heart.

I was confused, beads of perspiration dampened my brow.

His winged brow elevated, "Are you scared of me dear sister, please don't be," His lips formed a huge smile and I remembered seeing that smile before, something about him was oddly familiar.

"Sister?" I asked confused.

Just then Habiba appeared from nowhere and enveloped him a warm hug. "Noor, I'm glad you came all the way, we have been missing you terribly."

Now, realisation dawned on me. It was Aahil's younger brother and that was the reason for the familiarity. He had the exact mesmerizing eyes but instead of brown, they were blazing golden like they were alight with fire and there was an unmistakable similarity in the perfect bone structure and sharp, defined jawline.

"We were so heartbroken when Noor confided that he couldn't make it for the wedding. When he heard about Aahil's accident he was adamant that he couldn't stay away anymore. Consequently, he has taken a long vacation to be here for Aahil," Zareen started gazing adoringly at him.

"Stop embarrassing me," Noor mused, glaring at zareen, who pinched his arm in return.

Zareen had been in the act of taking the giant stairs, which stood proudly in front of the conservatory, but as soon as she spotted the three of engaged in a conversation, she turned her heel.

"Thank you," I murmured with a soft smile.

He returned his brilliant smile, "Oh sister, you don't have to be," He stated with a careless dismissal of his hand. "My brother is more important than my job."

"That is very sweet of you. Aahil is lucky to have such wonderful people around him." I liked him instantly. He had a contagious smile and an air of happiness surrounding him.

Noor shook his head, "It isn't me. He is lucky to have you and I'm glad that he married you. You have done wonders to him. I have never seen him this happy and ...."

"Me neither. He must truly love you to look so happy. He looks like a man enjoying marital bliss," Habeeba completed it for him and winked at me.

Flustered and embarrassed out of all proportion to the remark, I only returned a small smile.

Familiar touch enveloped me and I turned to find Aahil beside me, his hand firm on my shoulders. My heart missed a beat, as the warmth from his body electrified me. "It seems like I don't need to introduce the both of you," Aahil's hard features were curiously shuttered, his tone raw-edged.

For a second I was assailed by the appaling suspicion. Was there a rift in his relationship with his brother?

I searched his dark eyes, found nothing there and hurriedly put my fears down to nervous paranoia. There couldn't possibly anything, I told myself. Aahil loved his family greatly.

Aahil went forward and embraced Noor. Both of them spoke for a few minutes in hushed tones, before Aahil's gaze held mine, "This is my sweet little brother," Aahil bellowed.

"Oh stop addressing me as sweet, big bro. I'm a grown-up man and if you so wish you could attach the word handsome or alluring," He grinned showing a perfect set of teeth and I couldn't stop myself from returning it.