Loving Bittersweet Chapter 23 Part One

Everything began to happen in a blur next. Harry had decided to go to the Dark Lord on his own, leaving his friends worried and scared and his girlfriend grief stricken. We didn't know what to expect, what to think. Would he die? Would he really give his life so easily to the Voldemort?

I was with Luna and Ginny, sitting impatiently waiting on any news. I somehow managed to lose Draco in the mess. I had no idea when and where we exactly had gotten separated.

"Don't worry about him so much Ginny," Luna says touching her friends shoulder, "He will be okay."

Ginny looked worried and completely miserable. "Don't forget Ginny," I say getting her attention, "We are talking about Harry Potter."

That caused a small grin to appear on her face.

"Do you hear that?" Luna asks.

"Hear what?" I ask. I heard nothing, I didn't understand what she was talking about.

"That's it, nothing..." she replies jumping to her feet. Ginny and I follow her towards the entrance of the castle.

"No!" I hear someone shrill sending chills down my spine. I look out and see it was McGonagall. I follow her gaze to where she was looking and I freeze.

I was sure no person, nothing was able to move on our side because the sight we were beginning was horrific.

"No!" Ginny says as she takes off running.

I felt the tears welling up in my eyes but I fight through it and reach out to grab Ginny.

Ron and Hermione both cry out to Harry. I still was unable to speak, Harry was gone.

Looking to his body that was held by Hagrid. Our last shred of hope had left us.

"SILENCE!" cried Voldemort, drawing my attention to him. His cruel smile looking to us all. "It's over! Set him down, Hagrid, at my feet, where he belongs!" He order to Hagrid.

Hagrid ever so slowly laid Harry's body onto the grass. Tears fell from my eyes and I couldn't hold back the sob in my throat. I let go of Ginny who is then comforted by her family.

I wrap my arms around myself and cry. Then, from behind me, arm went around me protectively and a kiss was planted on my cheek. I knew who it was without even seeing his face.

"You see?" Voldemort says, "Harry Potter is dead! Do you understand now, deluded ones? He was nothing, ever, but a boy who relied on others to sacrifice themselves for him!"

I bit my tongue, wanting to reply to his statement. It was far from the truth.

"He beat you!" yelled Ron causing more shouting.

Then there was a loud sound that caused me to lean more into Draco, the last bit of comfort I had left.

"He was killed while trying to sneak out of the castle grounds," Voldemort laughed," "killed while trying to save himself..." Voldemort stopped because now Neville was coming towards him.

He stops Neville, "And who is this?" he asked.

Bellatrix laughed and looked to her Dark Lord, "It is Neville Longbottom, my Lord! The boy who has been giving the Carrows so much trouble! The son of the Aurors, remember?"

"Ah, yes, I remember," Voldemort says looking down at Neville. "But you are a pureblood, aren't you, my brave boy?" He asks Neville.

Neville looked at him in rage, "So what if I am?"

"You show spirit and bravery, and you come of noble stock. You will make a very valuable Death Eater. We need your kind, Neville Longbottom," Voldemort says.

I knew Neville would never go for it, even before he voiced this himself.

"I'll join you when hell freezes over," said Neville. "Dumbledore's Army!" he shouts causing us all to chime in.

Very well," Voldemort said, "If that is your choice, Longbottom, we revert to the original plan. On your head," he said quietly, "be it."

We all watched, curiously. "What is he doing?" I ask aloud and I try to pull from Draco who in turn pulls me tighter against him.

"Nothing that you can help with love," he tells me.

"But..." Just as I was about to argue with him we he the sound of glass shattering.

I look trying to make out the object that was coming, "Is that the Sorting Hat?" I ask.

"I think so," Draco replies.

"There will be no more Sorting at Hogwarts School, "Voldemort tells us, "There will be no more Houses. The emblem, shield, and colors of my noble ancestor, Salazar Slytherin, will suffice for everyone. Won't they, Neville Longbottom?"

I watched in horror as Neville went completely still and Voldemort placed the hat on his head.

"We go to help him," I say to Draco who basically ignores me but keeps his tight grip around my body.

"Neville here is now going to demonstrate what happens to anyone foolish enough to continue to oppose me," Voldemort says holding out his wand. Then the hat bursts into flames.

"Draco!" I shout trying to wiggle free.

"No Leianna!" he says holding me tighter.

Then we hear a loud sound coming. Looking off we see that the backup has now arrived.

Draco lets loose of his tight grip.

I look back to Neville who was now free and was drawing a sword. I had no idea where he had gotten it but I was thrilled by what planned to do with it.

In one swift motion he cuts the head off of Voldemort's snake.

"HARRY!" I hear Hagrid shout, "HARRY-WHERE'S HARRY?"

My eyes scramble trying find Harry.

"He's still alive," Draco said under his breath.

"What?" I ask, "What do you mean?"

He smiles, "The invisibility cloak."

I understood completely now.

I take out my wand as did Draco.