Chapter One: Unexpected Heroes

A/N: The chapter video is "Hold On" by Colbie Caillat

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thump. Thump. Thump. Thump.

A clatter of loud footsteps echoed in Jamie's ears that she couldn't quite place and with every step, pain jolted through her. She slowly pulled her eyes open and noticed she was riding on something face down. She lay flat on her stomach draped over a horse, her arm wrapped up tightly against her side. Her hair swung loosely around her and she couldn't help but grimace when she saw how dirty it was. She struggled to pull her head up to look around due to the awkward position she was in. Her eyes widened when they landed on Finn and another boy from camp being led behind the beast she rode on, hands bound in front of them by rope. Finn subtly shook his head to her signaling that she needed to remain quiet.

Jamie slowly looked up at the man in control of the horse and recognized the grounder, Tristan, which fought Bellamy right before the explosion. She quickly searched around them as they continued on and her heart pounded painfully in her chest as she realized Bellamy was nowhere in sight. What happened to him? Had he been killed? Tears welled in her eyes and her breathing came in short gasps as the crushing pain hit her at full force with the possibility that he may be dead.

The horse took an unexpected jump over a fallen log and she screamed out in pain when they landed, pain flaring through her body. Tristan suddenly pulled the horse to a stop and looked back at her, meeting her gaze. He smirked before he jumped off the horse and roughly brought her to the ground by her wounded arm. She screamed out again when his arm gripped her bandaged arm as he tied some rope around her hands. "Hey! Be careful with her!" Finn screamed at him.

Jamie trembled on the ground, whimpering as pain flooded through her body and finally Tristan pulled her to her feet and released her. Tears welled in her eyes from the sheer amount of pain she felt along with the heartache of possibly losing Bellamy. The dream she had of him resurfaced and it took everything for her to shake the image of him from her head.

Tristan sent Finn a warning look before climbing back onto the horse. Finn quickly moved to her side as best as he could with a soft smile. He took in her trembling state, pale face, and wide, terrified eyes. "You alright?" He whispered as they all started walking again. Concern filled his gaze as he looked at her, eyes quickly dropping to her injured arm. Jamie walked in between him and the other boy and nodded solemnly in response. "Have you seen Bellamy? Is he...?" She couldn't bring herself to finish the question and just searched his eyes with a plea in hers.

Finn sighed and shrugged with a sad smile. "I haven't seen him. I'm sorry."

"Stop talking!" Tristan shouted, his gaze focused straight ahead.

Jamie pulled against the rope attached to her wrists, falling behind just a tad. Every time the rope pulled her forward, her arm moved with it and she winced in pain. Her legs were wobbly as she walked right behind Finn and he continually glanced over his shoulder to make sure she was still doing okay. The rope from the horse back to her was longer than the ones attached to the boys and she found herself stumbling along as they walked, her mind occupied with her dreams.

Clarke and Jasper were still at the dropship right? What was that white room they were in? And why was Monty there? As these thoughts all raced through her head the horse came to an abrupt stop and Tristan jumped off again. He turned towards them with a scowl before pulling a bottle of water from his pack. Finn nervously shifted in front of Jamie as Tristan started chugging the water. Jamie's head started to drop forward and she looked down to notice the crimson color seeping through her bandage. Her wound had broken open and she was starting to feel the effects of blood loss once again. She dropped her head against Finn's shoulder blade and struggled to remain upright as he turned towards her. "Jamie?" He whispered, worry dripping into his words.