2) Extraterrestrial message

Posted 8th January 2016

The following message fragment was intercepted by Parkes Observatory, New South Wales, Australia, a few days ago. The message transmitted for nearly two hours, enabling parallax to be used to calculate the distance to the source. It was approximately 2.5 lunar distances from Earth, in the Crux constellation. It appears that the message has been deliberately transmitted to the observatory as, incredibly, it is in English.

Officially, the observatory deny all prior knowledge of what you are about to read.

_________________________________________________________

---MESSAGE STARTS---

<scrambled text> ....Star #19084602544 - Planet #3

Report #1

PLANET STATUS

Rocky planet, grade 7. Abundant in liquid water (~2/3 of surface). Atmosphere: 21% Oxygen, 78% Nitrogen, 1% others. Ozone layer reflecting solar radiation adequately. Fluid iron core generating magnetic field - adequately shields atmosphere against solar particles and erosion by solar wind.

Vegetation, wildlife, water cycle and oxygen in perfect equilibrium. Aquatic life healthy and balanced.

INTELLIGENT LIFE (Grade 17)

A little north of the planet's equator, on the east of the ┐continent, there are localised groups of bipedal hominids. During times of scarcity of resources, there are frequent brutal fights between individuals and groups. Heavy clubs, spears, rocks and sharpened flint - the tools normally used for hunting - are utilised for fighting. However, when resources are abundant the hominids are generally peaceful.

CONCLUSION

Healthy balance of wildlife, vegetation and atmospheric composition. Weather patterns regular. Primitive intelligent life prone to aggression, but expected to find a peaceful equilibrium with each other and the available resources.

Overall condition: GOOD

Report #2

PLANET STATUS

Environment remains reasonably stable, but equilibrium is now under threat. Aquatic life generally healthy but subject to increasing hunting pressures by the hominids. The whales are relatively intelligent, and experience long term anxiety due to their families being heavily hunted.

INTELLIGENT LIFE (Grade 18)

The hominids have spread over most of the planet. Technology has advanced to the extent of large mechanical works. The primary energy sources are wood, coal and oil from the whales. There are multitude issues across the planet. 'France' and 'Prussia' (partitions of the 'Europe' continent) are engaged in war. Exploded projectiles and exploded fragments are the primary weapons. In 'USA' the native hominids are suffering persecution by the 'white man', who are aggressively claiming more and more of their traditional homeland. The practice of capturing hominids from 'Africa' for enslavement has recently ended in 'USA'.

Localised heavy air pollution in conurbations due to excessive coal use in domestic and industrial environments impacting on the health and lifespan of many. Widespread poverty and suffering across the planet.

CONCLUSION

The hominids are unchanged in their aggressive tendencies from previous report, but now equipped with mechanised weapons causing significant casualties in large scale conflicts. Unequal distribution of resources and fierce competition causing unnecessary suffering for millions. Global environmental damage has begun.