Chapter 8

I awake with a blue blanket wrapped around me, the soft material rubbing against my skin. The bottle of coke is still in my arms and i hear laughter. I sit up, pulling the blanket around my shoulders and stand up, my legs wobbling under me. 

"Shush, Hattie is still asleep." I hear Steve demand. 

"What are you going to do? Its terrible Thor keeps disappointing her." Clint whispers. 

"She has a power now, i saw it. I'll have to teach her to control it, i guess." 

"Give her a bit of space first." 

"God, that was horrible last night. Hatz was so upset and hurt, i could see it in her eyes. I hated that." Steve whispers, his voice shaking. He's crying. 

Tears spring to my eyes. I place the bottle of coke by the door to the room they're sat in. I pull the blanket around me and walk to the stairs. I amble down the concrete stairs, making sure the blanket doesn't drag on the floor. 

This is going to be difficult. I have to go through the control room without getting caught by any of the workers. 

I step into the control room i smashed last night, all of the computers have been removed and the glass cleared up. This is the good thing about SHIELD, they clear up the mess really quickly. I walk through and out the other door. 

I duck behind trees in the garden, hiding myself in the shadows, I sprint through and into the dorm building. 

This should be easier, the Avengers are in the other building and everyone is at breakfast. 

I jump inside, through the hallway and into the stairwell. I climb up five flights of stairs and onto my floor. I walk down corridors and open my bedroom door. 

There are the two boxes i filled with my belongings and the other empty boxes. On the floor is the new stereo Tony got me and i notice something on my bed. 

There's a folded brown leather jacket and a blue hoodie. On top is a note saying "Keep them, they fit you better, Roomie" 

I smile because we both know they are huge on me and i place the note into my box. My hand brush a piece of news paper and i pick it up. 

Its a newspaper article, with a photo of Steve carrying me when i was six, my face is hidden in his shoulder and he has his hand on the top of my head, trying to hide me from the camera. I remember this day vividly, i stayed the night at Steve's because my Uncle was away for the night and he didn't want to leave me alone in SHIELD. We came out of his house and the cameras flashed in my face, i started to cry and Steve lifted me in his arms and told me that they were taking photos of me because i was special, but if i kept my head down they wouldn't get a photo of my face. They didn't get the photo. 

I place the article back in the box and throw the blue blanket onto my bed. 

I jump in the shower, put on shorts and a white t-shirt with Steve's blue hoodie. I roll the sleeves up and pull the hood over my face. Breakfast has now finished, but i can still grab something. I close the door behind me and walk down the five flights of stairs. I glance around the corners first and sprint to the canteen. All the food has been put away, so i duck behind the fridges and to the kitchen behind. I knock on the door and the dinner ladies look up from making lunch. 

"Im sorry to disturb you, but i could i possibly get some fruit please?" I ask politely, pulling down my hood. 

"Breakfast has already been sorted for you." She smiles, picking up a paper brown bag. 

"Excuse me?" I question. 

"Captain America told us to make you a packed breakfast and lunch." She explains.