Chapter 25

Im unable to sleep all night, i toss and turn, my body temperature rising. Nightmares cling to me, wanting me to fear them.

All are of Loki.

I sit up, running my shaking hands over my face and sighing deeply. I slip my cold feet into my pair of white slippers and pull one of Steve's hoodies over my white t-shirt and it reaches my jogging bottoms. Opening the door quietly, I start to walk out of the dorm building, through the dark and silent garden, into the main building. I tiptoe up four flights of stairs, I open the red door to a long dark corridor.

At the end is a transparent prison cell, with a white bed. The figure paces from one side to the other in his cell, his black cape flowing behind him as his boots clunk against the white tiled floor.

"Do you really think you can sneak up on me?" Loki bellows, slowly turning to face me and folding his hands behind his back.

"Of course not." I mutter, walking forward.

Loki's eyes scan me up and down, glancing at the cut on the left side of my forehead and the light blue bruises on my skin. His emerald eyes shine quickly with guilt, then instantly burn with hate.

"Still alive then?" He questions.

"You can't get rid of me that easily, Loki. You used me."

"Do you really think I don't care about you?" He asks, bowing his head but raising his eyes.

"What do you expect from me? You used me to create an army to take over Earth!" I argue, crossing my arms.

Loki leans back slightly, pulling something from his pocket. He places the photo against the glass prison wall, I lean forward to get a closer look.

Sat on a white bed is a middle aged women with wavy black hair that flows down to her shoulders. I can only see she is wearing a pure white dress, the dark green quilt over her. Her skin is almost as white as her dress. She is rocking a sleeping baby in her arms, a hand holding the babys head and another wrapped around her body, holding her close. The baby has her thumb stuck in her mouth and the mother is staring down at her, happiness and excitement in her eyes, mixed with a glimmer of fear.

The woman is Iowa, my mother.

The baby is me.

"Can I hold it?" I ask, glancing up at Loki, his eyes swimming with a few tears.

"Sure." He mumbles.

I slide open one of the holes and take the photo from him, then slide it closed again. My heart tugs slightly, a tear falling from my eye and i wipe it away quickly.

"I carry that around with me all the time, Harriet. I don't let anyone else touch it. I had to beg these mortals to let me keep it." He explains.

"Thank you." I whisper, clutching the photo and marching out of the prison room.

I reach my bedroom, sticking the photo on the wall beside my bed by my pillows. It's the last thing i see before I fall asleep.

*

The smell of toast fills my nose, but i feel too sick to eat anything. Steve fills a plate with fruit, toast and bacon. I push it away, shaking my head at him and glancing up with puppy dog eyes.

"You need to eat, Hattie." He points out.

"Im fine, honestly. Im not hungry at all." I insist, rubbing my fingers on my temple and trying to get rid of the pounding headache i have.

"You should be resting." Steve argues, looking at me with worry painted over his face.

"Im fine, Steve, stop worrying." I mutter, smiling.