Chapter 26

Slowly sitting up, I rub the scratchy sleep out of my tired eyes and slip my feet out of my bed, into my slippers. I've only had a few hours sleep, after Steve begged Fury to let me out of the stupid cell. I don't feel like celebrating. But, I will look happy so I don't spoil everyone else's day.

A knock at the door helps to pull me out of my half asleep state. I stumble to the door, pulling my messy hair into a ponytail. Unlocking the door, I then open it.

"Merry Christmas!" Steve shouts, waving his hands and wrapping some gold tinsel around my neck. He's already dressed in a white t-shirt with a Christmas tree on and his usual dark jeans.

"Merry Christmas to you too, Steve." I smile.

"Are you not ready yet, Hatz? You used to wake at 6 in the morning and force us all awake too."

"I was little then. Give me ten minutes." I suggest and close the door.

I quickly jump in the shower and pull on my a burgundy skater dress that has a few sparkles on, gathering my hair to the side so it trails down my arm. Suddenly, there's lots of continuous knocking on my door.

"Come on, Hattie. Hatz!" They scream.

I pull the door quickly and Tony Stark falls into my room, landing on his side, at my feet. He groans in pain and we all burst out laughing as he sits up, clutching his shoulder.

"Ow. I only came to say Good Morning." He whines.

I offer him my hand and I pull him onto his feet. I bite my lips to stop laughing as he stumbles back into the hallway.

"Right, I've had my abuse and Im going home now." He mutters, waving with his free arm and walking down the hall.

Clint, Natasha, Bruce and Steve are all stood in the doorway. Clint has a smart shirt and trousers on. Natasha is wearing a plain burgundy dress. Bruce is wearing a reindeer jumper and dark jeans.

"I want presents!" Clint shouts.

I follow them down the hall and into the entrance to our dorm level. We all sleep on the same floor, because Im their responsibility.

"Is my Uncle coming back for Christmas, or does he still hate me because of not following his rules?" I question.

They all stop walking and turn to look at me, guilt on their faces.

"What? Am i not supposed to talk about it?" I quiz.

"I told them not to mention it. We don't want to upset you." Steve whispers.

"Stop worrying about me. I've been a good girl this year, just ask Santa." I tease, skipping ahead.

They all follow me into the small hall on our floor. A huge Christmas tree towers over me, about the size of Bruce when he's the Hulk. The lights flash different colours and reflect of each shiny ornament that hangs. We buy a new one every year. Underneath the tree are piles of presents, all neatly wrapped and some fastened with bows.

I skid to a stop in my tights and sit on the floor, crossing my legs. All of the Avengers sit around, except Bruce who has disappeared.

"Right, where's mine?" Steve asks, pulling out presents and sliding them towards us.

"Hattie?"

I turn my head towards the voice to see Agent Coulson stood behind us, wearing his usual Agent suit but he has a flashing Santa badge.

"Merry Christmas, Agent Coulson!" I exclaim.

He places a giant gift bag on the floor and passes each of us a present. Mine is wrapped in purple with snowflakes.