Chapter 15

Im in a beautiful room, the smell of powder fills my nose. In the middle is a double four post bed with black drapes with green lining. Sat on it is a young woman with wavy black glossy hair that showers her shoulders and she is wearing a dark green flowing dress. I recognize her from the funeral card. She is Iowa, my mother.

She cradles a baby wrapped in a pink blanket in her arms, the baby nuzzles its face against her chest. A man is sat beside her, wearing a black cloak and a gold chain around his neck. His jet black hair is messy and his emerald eyes sparkle with happiness. 

I try to walk to see his face, but my feet stay stuck to the tiled ground. 

"She is beautiful and will be a wonderful queen." The man whispers, leaning forward and stroking the baby's cheek with one finger.

I wake gasping for breath, my body clammy and sweat trickling down my neck. I rub my hands over my face. That was a weird dream. 

"Hattie should know." Steve's words ring in my ears. 

I should know what? My past? My family? But if my Uncle Thor thinks i can't handle the truth, maybe he's right. 

I swing my legs out of the bed and into my bathroom. I jump in the shower, pulling on a black dress, tights and my black boots when Im out. Racing downstairs, i munch through my breakfast and have an energy drink. 

"Are you ready Hattie?" Steve calls out. 

I stroll to the door, downing the last of my drink and Steve is leant against the wall, staring straight ahead, in deep thought. 

"Yes. Are you?" 

He jumps slightly at my voice, then smiles and nods. 

Why is he quiet today? 

We climb into the car and he starts it, pulling out of the driveway slowly. I glance over and see Steve is wearing jeans, a white t-shirt and a denim jacket. He has his hands tight around the steering wheel, his knuckles almost pure white. 

"What is with you today, Steve? You're acting weird." I question. 

"Nothing, Hatz. Im just nervous about your first training session, now that we know you have a power." Steve whispers. 

"You're nervous? I have to fight in front of all the Avengers and Fury." I remind him, a small chuckle escapes Steve's lips. 

"You will amaze them. As always." 

A few minutes later Steve pulls into the SHIELD car park, locking the car behind him we march inside the building and up four floors. 

Fury is stood talking to the Avengers outside one of the training rooms, all in a deep conversation. They stop as soon as they see me. I look at them with questioning eyes as they become uncomfortable in the corridor. 

"Good morning Hattie." Fury bellows, his voice drumming into my head. 

"Morning." 

Tony opens the door and i walk through the grey tiled room, into the changing room. I pull on my black bodysuit, belt and defender beam holders. Then, i walk back through into the room. 

To the left is a transparent window, the Avengers and Fury are stood behind, staring at me with interest. Steve is stood by the control panel to the right, his arms crossed over his chest and he smiles slightly at me. I stroll over to him, brushing my fingers over the guns, tasers, beams and knives. I slip one knife into each of the holders on my thighs, place one gun and another knife into my belt. Finally, I slip two beams into the holders on my back.