Escaping the Rain

Of course it was raining! I had to walk halfway across Swellview to get home, so why wouldn't there be rain!? I sighed and walked out into the pouring rain from the studio where I usually worked, which closed early today due to the weather. Of course, today was also the day that I didn't wear my hoodie, and soon I was soaked through to my skin. Finally I found a store that didn't have it's door locked and went inside, shivering so hard I could hardly grasp the door handle. "Sorry we're-" I turned to the voice I heard and saw a man standing at the counter, "closed." He said. "Oh. Um... Sorry. I can leave if you want me to." I said. He threw his hands out as I reached for the handle. "No!" He practically yelled. I jumped a little and he put his hands down. "Sorry," he said, "It's just that, it's pouring out there and you're- you're shivering! Here, let me help you." He said, walking out from behind the counter. He grabbed a blanket from somewhere and a t-shirt that said JunkNStuff on it. He also grabbed some pajama pants hanging from a rack near the shirts. "You don't even know me. Why are you helping me?" I asked as he handed me the new clothes. He smiled at me and held out his hand "Ray Manchester." He said. I laughed a little bit as I took the hand he held out and shook it. "Alyssa Caulfield." I mumbled. He ducked down a little bit. "I'm sorry, did you say Asa?" He asked. I shook my head, silently cursing my nervous mumbling. "Alyssa." I said. He nodded and pointed with the clothes, "There's a bathroom back there where you can change, miss Asa." He said. I looked up at him and said, "It's Alyssa." I said. He waved a hand and went back behind the counter, while I huffed and went back to the bathroom he pointed out. I changed into the shirt, which was more of a nightgown than a t-shirt on me, and the jeans fit but were passing my feet and sorta baggy. "Thanks for this stuff." I said when I came out. Ray turned to me and flashed a dazzling smile. "It's no problem." He said. "Um... I don't have my wallet on me right now. How much do I owe you?" I asked. His eyebrows scrunched together, "For what?" He asked. I pointed at the shirt. "Oh," he said, "Don't worry about it." I looked at him like he was crazy. "You're joking, right?" I asked. "No." He said, turning to look at a strange object. "I can't just take them." I said. I saw him shrug and inspect an even stranger object. "Why not?" He asked. I scoffed at him, making him turn to me with his eyebrows raised. "I... I just- I... I can't take free clothes!" I said. He chuckled and crossed his arms. "You know, most of the women I've met would kill for free clothes." He said. I crossed mine as well. "I'm not most of the women you've met." I replied. He shook his head. "No you are not." He said, the corner of his mouth turning up into a half smile. I tried not to get to attracted to it and started looking around at the store. "So you own this place?" I asked. He nodded. "Yep. Left to me by my father." He said. I nodded and went to lean against the counter. "This is some pretty interesting stuff." I said. He shrugged. We talked on and off until I saw his face fall. "What's wrong?" I asked. He pointed at the door. "It stopped raining." He said. I looked and saw sunshine outside instead of the dark clouds. "Oh yeah. Well... I guess I should get going." I said. He gave me a small smile. "See you around some time?" He asked. I nodded. "Hey, are you sure I can't pay you for these?" I asked. He leaned onto his elbows on the counter. "How about this, you give me your number and we'll call it even?" He asked. I smiled and peeked at him through my lashes, trying not to lose myself in those blue eyes. "Ok." I mumbled. He chuckled and handed me his phone. I put in my number and he sent me a text so I'd have his. "I hope you know," he said,"that your name isn't staying like that in my phone." I laughed as I walked away. "Bye Asa." He said. I sighed as I turned back to look at him and smiled as I said, "Bye Ray."