Celebrations Pt.2

"I'm so nervous." I said as Ray and I drove to see the doctor. He took my hand as we pulled into the parking lot and kissed it. "I am too. You ready?" he asked. I took a deep breath, then nodded.

We walked in, and a nurse took us back to the ultrasound room to get us set up. "Your doctor will be in in just a minute." he said, then left us alone. I laid on the bed, my heart about to pound out of my chest. "You alright?" Ray asked, sitting next to me. I nodded, "Yeah I'm just... I don't know, I guess it's just finally setting in that this is happening." I said. He nodded in agreement, "I know. It's definitely a big change." he said.

When the doctor walked in, I felt like I could hardly breathe. I shook her hand, and Ray did the same, then we got down to it. "First one?" she asked, sensing my nervousness. We nodded, and she smiled, "Well, don't worry. Parenthood is great." she said, moving the gel over my stomach. It was cold, and I didn't like it, but then she smiled and turned the computer screen towards us. "Say hello to your healthy baby girl." she said, and pointed out the tiny baby to us. I couldn't help it, I started crying. "A girl. Oh my god..." Ray said. He pulled me close and kissed me. "I'll give you two a minute. Congratulations." she said, handing us the printed out picture and closing the door behind her as she left. "I can't believe this." I said. "I know. In just a few months we'll have our baby girl." Ray said. He was crying as much as I was as he kissed me, and for a while, we just sat in our happy little bubble. "I love you." I said, hugging him close. "I love you, too," he said, then knelt down, "And I love you, my beautiful baby girl." he kissed my stomach where he felt her kicking, and then we got ready to leave. "Everyone is already at the Mancave waiting. The kids are so excited." he said as we drove home. I held his hand the whole way there, and when we got to Junk-N-Stuff we took the tubes down and saw Henry, Charlotte, Jasper, and Shwoz waiting for us. I handed them the picture, "We're having a girl!" I exclaimed. Ray and I were immediately engulfed in a large group hug. "Congratulations guys!" Henry said. "Thanks Hen." Ray replied, hugging him. "We have to celebrate!" Charlotte said excitedly. "How?" Ray asked. "Let's turn the Mancave pink!" she said. "I love all of you, but no!" Ray said, pointing at her. I laughed and sat at the table, "Honestly having you guys here is celebration enough." I said. They sat around me, and I couldn't help tearing up again. Damn hormones were going to kill me. "What's wrong?" Jasper asked. I shook my head, "Nothing, I'm just all messed up. I love you guys so damn much!" I said, holding my arms out for them. They squished into my sides and I held them close. My best friends were here, they were going to be a part of my baby's life, they were going to be in mine.

As the night went on, we started reminiscing, which didn't help my tears at all!

"I can't believe we actually made it through all of that." Henry said. "Especially with you not being indestructible." Ray added. "Well, I was indestructible for a little while." Henry replied. I scoffed, "Yeah but you breathed fire when you laughed!" I said. "See, fire breathing would not have been that bad if I could've controlled it." he said. I laughed, "I guess that's true." I said.

"Imagine if Ray wasn't indestructible. All of the trouble he would've been in." Charlotte said. "Could you imagine falling out of the Mancopter then?" Jasper asked. Ray winced, "Oh god, I feel it." he said.

Somehow, all of us ended up asleep around the table, and I hated that that was the most comfortable sleep I'd had in a long time. I looked at my baby and whispered, "Don't think I'm gonna sleep sitting up, little one."

I stood and stepped around the kids, and my sleeping husband, and I went up to the roof for some air. In just a few short months, I was going to have an actual little person to take care of.

Three years ago, I never would've imagined making it this far with anybody! Much less anybody who was a superhero! Looking out over Swellview, I suddenly saw Ray and Henry leaving in their uniforms. Ray must have noticed me, because he looked up and blew a kiss before he and Henry ran off to stop the trouble.

Henry... he was such a good kid. I always thought of him as a younger brother, and I honestly couldn't wait for him to meet his niece. He was a great superhero, and I knew one day he'd be a great man for some lucky woman.

Walking back down into the Mancave, I saw Jasper, Charlotte, and Shwoz still asleep. I grabbed a blanket and threw it over them, because Ray kept the Mancave cold enough for penguins at night and I didn't want them to freeze. After I made sure everybody was okay, I sat down on the couch and closed my eyes again, but this time the baby was determined to keep me awake until Ray returned.

"You're still up?" he asked, sitting next to me. I nodded, "Your child is kicking the hell out of me." I laughed. He chuckled and kissed my belly, "You're going to be keeping mommy and daddy awake forever aren't you?" Ray asked the baby. I laughed and ran my fingers through his hair.

"So... what should we do for a nursery?" he asked. I shrugged, "I know I don't want some overused princess thing." I said. He chuckled, "Agreed." he said. "What about owls?" I asked. "Owls?" "Yeah. I mean, she's obviously a little night owl with all the nights she's woken me up." I said. He laughed. "What colors would go with that?" he asked. "I'd say pale blues and purples." I said, suddenly envisioning a tiny nursery in the Mancave. "With little stuffed owls, and baby books and toys all over the place." he said. I smiled. "That sounds amazing." I said. "You know, if we didn't live here, my ideal house would be a two story. Nothing too big, but big enough. For us, the baby, and the kids for when they'd visit. A good sized back yard with a shady porch where we could sit and... drink lemonade in the summer while our little girl plays and gets dirty in the yard with all her toys. In a nice neighborhood where we can go on walks during the day, and get to know our neighbors, and do cookouts during the fourth of July with fireworks, and celebrate Christmas with a big tree in the living room. If I wasn't Captain Man, that's what I'd want." he said. "That... All of that sounds amazing, Ray." I said. He hummed tiredly in response as he laid us on the couch.

The baby finally settled out, and I closed my eyes as I thought of everything Ray had said, finally feeling like all of the puzzle pieces in my life were coming together.