21||My Last Semester

I'm not sad anymore,
I'm just tired of this place
The weight of the world would be ok
If it could pick a shoulder to lean on
So I could stand up straight.
~~~~~~~

The bell shrieked annoyingly, signalling that first period had begun. Alex and Bristol were situated in the forested area behind the school, and they both groaned with irritation as they heard the school bell. They had been doing their usual morning tradition of smoking in the forest, and each time the bell rang was like a jail sentence to them.

"Should we head in?" Bristol asked, disposing of what was left of her now tiny cigarette.

Alex sighed. He wanted to say no, and that they should just stay outside and avoid the world. The boy was sitting cross-legged on a large rock. His sketchbook was laying on his lap, showing off a phenomenally drawn crystal ball. His 3rd cigarette of that morning was trapped loosely between his lips, and his back was hunched over from being focused on drawing. He was quite content in those past moments. He liked drawing in such a tranquil area, making small talk while smoking a few cigarettes. It was almost therapeutic to him. And he hated how first period had to ruin the scene for him, almost every single morning.

"I really don't want to." He admitted. He stretched out his back, shoulders and arms, before hunching over again.

"I know," Bristol countered, "but we really should."

When she didn't get a reply, she glanced down towards the young male's artwork. It truly was amazing, and showed off obvious advanced talent. His drawings and other works of art would always fascinate her. They always did, and perhaps that was one of the things that had drawn her towards him to begin with.

"You really should try and sell some of that." She told him, gesturing her head towards the sketchbook.

Alex looked at her and smiled. He loved whenever he got praised for his talents. It was something that — to him — could be considered more important than food. Considering that there was always a lack of encouragement by his parents in his home life, it'd always be so much more appreciated at the rare times that it did happen from other people. Not even his friends commented on it too often. Although that could also be a good thing, because too much attention, good or bad, would be unsettling for him.

"Thanks. Although hand drawn art like this doesn't really sell for too much, nowadays." He said sadly.

"True, but you can always sell it on etsy for a reasonable price."

Alex nodded, as he began packing up his stuff in his school bag. "That's true, but still. An actual store would be hard to handle; even if it's online." He countered. He jumped off of the rock after swinging the bag on his shoulder, and he and Bristol started walking out of the forest area.

"That's true. But It'd still be neat." Bristol continued, opening the front doors of the school.

"I guess." The boy agreed.

They ran up the stairs to the 2nd floor, and counted to three before they entered their math class. It wasn't like they were extremely late; just a little bit. However, they'd always be careful and hesitant to enter, considering that their math teacher was not the most laid back. Bristol would swear that someone 'must have pissed in his morning cheerios', and Alex would always just laugh and roll his eyes.

"Late again, are we?" The teacher greeted unkindly, subtly glaring at the two teenagers who entered the class.

"At least we even showed up." Alex retaliated, glaring back at the educator as he took his seat.

"Watch your tone." The man demanded.

"Back at ya." The boy spat.

The much older man only glared at Alex harder as an annoying smirk adorned said boy's face. The short stare down lasted a few more moments, before the teacher finally restarted his lesson.