Chapter Five - "Is That a Problem?"

"I've Never Cried"

Chapter Five

'Is that a problem?'

Scene...

Noon The Next Day

Joe's POV

I called the number Demi had given me the day before and waited for her to answer.

"Hello?" A voice said. It was strong and feminine, but still sounded of a bubbly teenager. I didn't recognize the voice, so I asked,

"Is Demi there? It's Joe."

"Um, yeah she's here. Joe who?" I heard my name repeated from the background and the phone made a few crackling noises.

"Hello?" Another voice repeated. I smiled.

"Hey Demi, it's me. Are you ready to go?"

"Yea, totally. Where should we meet?" I scratched the back of my head nervously.

"Actually, I thought I'd leave that up to you." She giggled on the other end.

"Oh, that's cool. How about Pinkberry? I'm more in the mood for some ice cream." I smiled into the receiver.

"That's perfect. I'll see you there." I hung up the phone and started for the door.

When I arrived at Pinkberry, Demi was sitting in a booth with her phone in her hand. She hadn't seen me, so I approached the booth and slid in front of her. The phone was a Blackberry, and she was texting someone at an inhuman pace.

"Hi," I began seeing that she still hadn't realized I was there.

Her head shot up quickly, and she smiled. 

"You're here," She said, beaming her bright white teeth

"You're here," She said, beaming her bright white teeth. I laughed a little and pulled my eyebrows together in confusion.

"Of course I am. Why wouldn't I be?" I said this all with a smile on my face. Mostly because her smile was contagious.

Giggling, she placed her phone in her lap. "Most 'dates' I've been on, I never got to pick. I didn't know what to expect. But you're here now; that's what matters." I put my head down and laughed, so she wouldn't see me flustered.

"So, um, are you ready to order?"

"Yea, totally." She said standing up with me. We both walked to the line that consisted of about four people. I decided to make small talk, just to learn more about her.

"Tell me about yourself."

"What?" She turned to me, the same smile plastered on her face.

"Well," I started. "We don't really know much about each other . . ."

"Okay," She said. "I'll be as honest as I can. Let's see . . . I'm nineteen- twenty on August 20th-how cool is that, right? I play guitar, piano, and I sing. I did lots of beauty pageants when I was little, I love acting and dancing. I'm thinking about putting blonde highlights in my hair, and when I first saw you," She stopped mid-sentence. I couldn't tell if she was blushing because her skin was tan.

"What? When you first saw me, what?" I asked with a smirk.

"When I first saw you, I thought, 'he looks like my best friend's boyfriend, but with bigger eyebrows.'" She smirked back at me. We moved up in line, and Demi ordered a Meet Mango, one of my favorite choices. I ordered mine with fruity pebbles, and we sat back at the booth.

"Your best friend's boyfriend, huh? I thought you were going to give me a compliment." I fake frowned at her and she stuck her tongue out at me.

"That's not what I meant. You just look like you could be brothers. Selena's always talking about him-"

"Selena?" I cut her off. I tried to recall the conversation Nick and I had the previous day and how he described her. "Short, brown hair? Tall and skinny?"

Demi shoved her spoon into her Pinkberry and looked at me with an eyebrow raised. "Yeah . . . how do you know her?" I chuckled at the accurate guess that Demi had.

"You were right, Demi. Your best friend is dating my brother, Nick." She gagged on the ice cream that was still in her mouth and I laughed.

" She gagged on the ice cream that was still in her mouth and I laughed

"Small world, huh?"

"Why didn't we meet sooner?" I asked. "I mean, Nick said they dated for a year and met up at the museum all the time. I almost always go with him. Why hadn't I seen you earlier?"

"Should you have?" She licked her lips and started back on her ice cream. I smiled and asked a new question.

"You're nineteen?" She nodded.

"Is that a problem?"

"No . . . I just wanted to know if you're still in school. I'm guessing you're not?" She shook her head.

"I finished a year early. I was homeschooled for a while. Made straight A's- that kind of thing. Are you done with school?"

"I'm twenty-two." Her eyes widened the slightest bit.

"Oh. . ." She cleared her throat and put the spoon back into her half-eaten ice cream. "I guess I'm a little young . . ." I placed my hand on hers and looked into her eyes amusingly.

"Is that a problem?" I mocked, and she grinned at me.

JJDL

*** I love reading your comments.*****