Chapter Six - "Your Secret"

"I've Never Cried"

Chapter Six

'Your Secret'

Scene . . .

Leaving Pinkberry

Joe's POV

As we left Pinkberry, Demi and I walked down the heated streets of LA. She pulled her black hair into a mid-ponytail so it would only fall towards the bottom of her neck, rolled up the long sleeves of her baggy green top, and adjusted the jean shorts at her waist. I admired her versatile appearance.

"Are you gonna tell me about you now?" She said out of the blue. It took me a while to process the fact that she'd spoken, because I'd been watching how swiftly her body moved.

"What do you want to know?" I asked, returning to reality.

"Whatever you're comfortable telling me, I guess." She briefly fanned herself with her hand and dropped it back to her side.

"Well, I'm not as fascinating as YOU seem to be," I glanced over at her. She'd bitten her lip and put her head down. I laughed to myself and continued, "But I play piano and guitar also. I used to sing a lot with my brother, but we stopped about a year ago. We still write songs together, though. Just not as much. Hmm . . ." I tried to think about anything more that could possibly be as interesting as Demi's story. "I'm five-foot-nine and boring, pretty much." Demi and I turned a corner and came across one of the city's parks. I approached a park bench, with Demi following behind, and sat down comfortably. She sat closer to me than I expected, and said,

"I happen to find you VERY interesting, Joe. Like the fact that I played a song through on piano only once, and you played it over again the next day from memory. Nothing about that is boring." She gave me a bright smile and placed her palm over the back of my hand. I felt my face go red. "He blushes?" She teased. My face felt even hotter, and I put my head down.

"Tell me a secret." I said, trying to change the subject.

"A secret?" Her voice sounded like she was choking. I got up the courage to look at her and grinned.

"We all have secrets, right? Tell me yours." Her gaze scanned the grass for a moment.

"Okay. But only if you go first."

"Alright," I said, smiling. "We'll do it your way." Demi frantically began to fan herself with her hand. I was used to the weather in LA, but Demi probably hadn't adjusted.

"I guess you're not really used to the Los Angeles heat yet, huh?" I smirked.

"Not at all." She said, releasing a heavy breath.

"Come with me." I guided Demi under a Weeping Willow tree that provided lots of shade and a cool breeze. I sat cross-legged in the relaxing shade and she sat across from me, releasing a deep sigh.

"Thank you!" I laughed at her. "Sacramento was so much cooler than this."

"You moved here from Sacramento?" I questioned.

"That's probably why you didn't see me all year. I moved in with Selena right after I finished school."

"You could have told me that before hand." I raised my eyebrows at her and she smirked. "My secret," I began, leaning in close to her. "I really like this girl, but we can't go on a real date because she wants to be friends. So we hung out all day today, and she's even better than I thought she would be. You see my dilemma?" Even though I couldn't see her blush that well because of her tanned skin, I knew she was doing it. Her lips were struggling to suppress a smile and she fluttered her eyelids. She did this every time I flattered her, so I knew she was blushing. I leaned back and sat in my original position with my hands in my lap.

 I leaned back and sat in my original position with my hands in my lap

"My secret," Demi started, smiling to herself. "I fall too hard too fast. And when I do, I lose the guy too fast; which is why I choose to be friends first. I also don't know what to expect, but now I do." She looked up into my eyes. "So thanks I guess." I wrapped Demi in my arms, hugging her now that I had clarity. She hugged me back happily, and after a moment we released each other.

"I have another secret, but you wouldn't believe me if I told you. It's kind of weird actually." She stated. My eyebrows pulled together in curiosity.

"Oh yeah? What's your secret?"

"Well, when I was born, my parents thought I was stillborn because I didn't cry like regular babies. Everybody was shocked." In my mind that was a little weird, but it didn't seem like a big deal.

"Okay?"

"I'm not done," She said. I waited for her to continue. "What I'm trying to say is, I haven't shed a single tear since then."

"What?"

How was that possible? I've known people to have blocked tear glands, but they all had some kind of abnormality. Demi had a gorgeous face, so that couldn't be the problem.

"I've never cried. Ever."

JJDL