Chapter Eighteen - "Taking Things Slow"

"I've Never Cried"

Chapter Eighteen

'Taking Things Slow'

Joe's POV

I knocked on the door, and was surprised when Demi was the one to answer.

"Hey you," She said, widening the door to let herself out. Demi stepped out in front of me, shutting the door behind her. Her hair was wet towards the bottom, partially dry at the top. She was without any makeup, her skin slightly lighter than normal. She smelled fresh and unfamiliar, yet I still found her gorgeous.

"How are you?" I asked, taking her tiny palm into my hand. It was soft and small, her fingers threading through each of mine. The feeling was so comfortable, I never thought I'd be able to adjust to it. She smiled up at me.

 She smiled up at me

"Great, now." Her arms wound around my neck and she hung there for a while, a flirty smile across her face. I thought it was cute. "You could have called . . ," Her voice curved and swiveled beautifully, yet naturally. My hands held her sides gently, the corners of my mouth fighting to twitch into a smile.

"I know," I kissed her forehead slowly. She smelled of shampoo and water. "It was kind of . . ." I ran my hands down her sides, "Unanticipated." I felt I was becoming distracted from the reason I'd arrived there. My mind redirected itself. "Can we talk?" I questioned, switching the subject. I kept serious composure, though inside I was extremely nervous.

A confused look ran across Demi's face. She raised a worried eyebrow. "Um . . about what?" I sucked in a nervous breath and pulled her closer.

"W-where we . . . stand." I whispered, bravely pushing my forehead against hers. For some unfathomable reason, Demi's smile fell dramatically. Her eyes hit the ground beneath us.

 Her eyes hit the ground beneath us

"We should probably go inside. . ." She released my neck and held my hand, pushing the door open and walking in. I closed it behind me, nearly tripping as she dragged me along with her.

"Is everything okay?" I asked once we'd stopped. The pressure increased on my hand as Demi squeezed my palm. "Did I say something wrong?" She rubbed her hand through my hair.

"No," a sigh eased through her. "I just wasn't expecting you to ask so soon." I frowned dramatically. Demi grasped my other hand. "No, Joe, that's not what I meant-," She rushed to say after seeing my pained reaction.

"I'm sorry," I interrupted, "I won't bring it up again." I finished, dropping my gaze to our interlocked hands.

"But I want to talk about it, Joe." She began, an uneasiness overtaking her features. "Don't be mad at me." I heard her whisper as she dropped her hands to her sides. Slowly, I pulled her body close to mine, placing one hand onto her cheek.

"I'm not mad, Dem." I said, holding her closer. My lips grazed over hers, softly, and she smiled. "I just want to be with you. I want to call you my girlfriend. Officially." I finished. Her laugh amused me, and we just stayed there, smiling.

"I want to be with you, Joe, and I'm glad that we're together." She looked down at the floor, then back up. "But I want us to take it slow, just like before. I don't like rushing into things; you know that." I couldn't resist any longer. I had to kiss her; I HAD to.

"I know," I say, slowly leaning even closer.

"Joe?" I grabbed her waist and kissed her gently. It was an amazing feeling; soft and gracious. She kissed me back, slowly, her surprise quickly fading.

"Joe," She laughed through the kiss, breaking it evenly. "Taking things slow, remember?"

I shook my head, shaking off the buzz from that kiss. "Sorry, sorry. Okay." I smiled.

JJDL

*****Leave your comments!*****