Chapter Sixty-six - "Jealous."

"I've Never Cried"

Chapter Sixty-six

'Jealous.'

Scene...

Continuing

Joe's POV

"J-Joe," Selena whispered. I watched a small smile appear on her face then, before her eyes wandered over to Nick, who couldn't stop smiling.

"You don't know how much I've missed you," he said, taking her hand.

"You seriously don't," I said, chuckling at him. "He's been by your side this whole time."

"Where's Demi?" Her voice was so small, so weak. Before either of us could answer, the nurses stepped in to care for Selena. Nick and I were asked to leave the room then, and I was feeling relieved. Nick, however, seemed somewhat bitter.

As we exited the room, I noticed his sudden change in temperament. He came off as hostile, in the most passive aggressive manner. I knew my brother, though, and this was something that I knew would come out in the open.

"Hey, bro, everything okay?" I asked as we made our way down the hall.

"I'm fine," he said, trying to shrug me off. I stopped him then, grabbing him by the shoulder and making him face me.

"Dude, come on, what's your problem? I thought you'd be happy-,"

"Yeah, I thought I would be, too," he interrupted, his face plain. "But she said your name first."

"Bro, who cares?"

"I do, Joe!" He put his hand to his chest frustratedly. "I swear I can't fucking ever win with you."

"Wait," I said, truly appalled at my brother's pettiness. "You're blaming me for how Selena feels about me? I didn't ask for her to feel that way, Nick, so that's not fair-,"

"I'm not blaming you, Joe, I'm JEALOUS of you!" He rubbed his thumb across his nose, taking in a short audible breath. "Look, I know it's stupid. But you get everything you want, and everything I want. Even something as simple as Selena's smile when she woke up; you got that. Not me. And I'm just frustrated."

With that he continued walking, and before I could stop him he'd already made it back to the waiting room

With that he continued walking, and before I could stop him he'd already made it back to the waiting room. I was annoyed with my brother, that was for certain, but I could sympathize with him. Maybe I shouldn't have gone into the room with him; maybe I shouldn't have gone to the hospital at all.

Maybe this whole incident would propel Demi and I into our own lives; finally separating my brother and I healthily. It was clear to me that I was getting in the way of anything Nick put his hands to. Whether it was his relationships, his anger, his habits, or anything of the sort, it seemed I was always some kind of speed bump for him; if not a road block altogether.